Author Topic: newfies  (Read 7471 times)

Offline kelan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
newfies
« on: May 12, 2009, 02:41:23 am »
Hi, i am new to this site and not yet a dog owner but have my heart set on buying a newfie next year. I just wanted to hear first hand about what you all thought about the breed.
All info good and bad very welcome!! :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: newfies
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:02:24 am »
Hi kelan, welcome to BPO!  I have a 2 year old Newfie girl named Sierra.  I love her to pieces and I plan on getting as many as my fiance will allow me to have.  She is the sweetest dog I have ever owned.  She truly believes every person she meets is her best friend.  She's loyal, she's a big couch potato but always up for an adventure when it's offered.  And like Melissa said, she doesn't eat a whole heck of a lot even though she is a giant breed.

As for the cons of owning a Newf, I really don't have much to add to what Melissa said except to expect water in your house on a regular basis.  It doesn't matter if it's a lake, puddle or water dish, Sierra will try to fit her big self in it.  And as for the drool, I've given up trying to find a fashionable way to carry a drool towel.

For me, the pros of having a Newf by far outweigh the cons.  She's an amazing dog.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

jesday

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:16:41 am »
Ditto, ditto and ditto to all the above! But if you thought all this advice was free I must inform you of the price.

You must post photos, photos and photos when you get your precious Newf.

(you'll get used to the drool towels all over the house. Just try not to grab one when drying the dishes. ;))

Offline kelan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:42:09 am »
thanks guys...i have spew raggs around the place for my 6 month old at the moment so that will be ok. Do you guys clip your newfies? I have heard you can give legs and belly a trim in summer to help keep them cool.