Author Topic: my new doggie.....likes the kitchen counter  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
my new doggie.....likes the kitchen counter
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:48:36 am »
waaayyyyy too much!  He's a big guy so sticking his paws and nose up there is easy.  So far he has succeeded in getting literally EVERYTHING off my counter (what a mess!!!!) and has gone so far as to take a dish out of the kitchen sink!?!   :o  He has only done this when I've done something foolish - like leave the area to use the bathroom or get clothes out of the dryer.  No I can't block off the area.

Any ideas as to get this big clown to knock it off?!  he's gonna get hurt one of these times (like when he knocked over a crockpot full of food) & I don't want that! 

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: my new doggie.....likes the kitchen counter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:40:57 pm »
Well - if you can catch him you can squirt him with a water bottle, shake a can with coins in it.  Bait him into it; leave something good on the counter, keep his leash on and correct him when he starts to jump up.

They also make mats that you put on the counter that give them a light zap when they touch it.

Many people on the board will have better ideas than me.

Your pup is beautiful!  Good luck

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:50:05 pm »
I've never tried this, but people on the board have talked about it, and it seems really mean, sneaky and underhanded (I can't wait to try it!).  Tie some old pop cans and other really noisy freaky stuff to a hot dog with a bit of a length of string, and leave it on the counter.  Then leave the kitchen and wait for the CRASH!!  With any luck it'll scare the pup so much that he won't attempt it again, especially when the scary noise making cans follow him and the hot dog!!  ;)

Good luck with whatever you try. :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Buster's family

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:24:27 pm »
Buster used to do the same thing...I like the idea of baiting him! I sort-of did that, but I hid and watched him from behind the door. He put his nose up there and I scared the poo out of him and said noooooo in that deep "I mean it and I'm the boss" voice. He knew just what he had done. The poor guy felt SO bad. But, that's what happens when favorite wooden spatulas get chewed on! I only had to do say the nooo a few times before he quit trying.  ;)

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:07 am »
thanks!  I'll try that.  generally, he listens when I tell him "NO" about something & stops doing whatever that is.  However, the kitchen is a different Oprah! He waits until I turn my back to do it.  ::)

Somebody at work suggested cookie sheets, so they'd crash when he tried doing that.  All that did was add to the mess he ended up creating on the floor.  Noise didn't bother him one bit.   ::)

Did I mention that he knows how to open cupboards and doors as well?   :D

Yes, I was told how smart this guy was....what a character!   :D