Author Topic: Allergic to Black Fly bites!?!  (Read 14130 times)

Lyn

Allergic to Black Fly bites!?!
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:39:58 am »
So far black flies are pretty bad here this year. The dogs have never been bitten before. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the farmer next door working his field and stirring them all up?

Anyway we discovered Lola is allergic to black fly bites. The bites started out as red circles and turned into hard lumpy spots within 12 hours. Probably  10 or so bites on her belly and back legs. 3 days of benadryl and they are almost gone. Bubba had the same red circle bites but his never swelled up like hers. His just faded and were gone in 24 hours.

I freaked out thinking ticks and lyme disease with the bullseye bite after googling, LOL. I know I haven't seen any ticks on them. But my vet said they were not tick bites.. but black flies. So talk about relief. LOL

Poor Lola, first bees and now black flies. :( I'm going to need to take stock in Benadryl.

Anyone know of any pet safe insect repellant? I have cats too that cuddle with the dogs so it needs to be safe for them if they happen to get any on them.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Allergic to Black Fly bites!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:07:43 am »
Neem oil is GROSS but it works like nothing else  ;)
Lessons I learned: 1. Use a cotton ball and NOT your fingers! 2. Get a mask! LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:32:05 am »
Thanks Jenn! I guess I'm going shopping for neem oil and lemongrass and a gas mask! LOL

I'm not too sure my father will go for the bat boxes. But we do have alot of bats here that are overly friendly and they freak me out. I appreciate that they eat the mosquitos but not when they swoop down to get the ones buzzing around my head. LOL

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:40:49 am »
From what I've been reading it's perfect safe to use on yourself too. You can even spray plants and veggies with it so the bug don't eat your veggie garden.

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:41:51 am by Lyn »

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:06 am »
wow, cool info. Other then poor Lola!!! So maybe I was hiding my head under something but I didn't know you could be allergic to a black fly bite!  ??? ??? wow, I learn so much on here, lol. I'll remember that concoction for when I need it. :)

~Kirsti

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:12:42 am »
Just out of curiousity...w hat does it smell like?  Are we talking cat poo bad, skunky? Rotten?
I don't want to sound awful but it smells like rotten dead people  :o ::)
Here are what some people tried to define the smell  :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-906.html

Jenn, can you find that link I forwarded to you from some board? I can't find it  :-\
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:23:28 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
wow, cool info. Other then poor Lola!!! So maybe I was hiding my head under something but I didn't know you could be allergic to a black fly bite!  ??? ??? wow, I learn so much on here, lol. I'll remember that concoction for when I need it. :)

~Kirsti

I learned some things I didn't know or want to know about black flies. LOL When they bite they release a anticoagulant in their saliva to keep your blood flowing. I guess it would be their saliva that caused Lola's reaction. Where the bites were and the surrounding area felt lumpy, like little marbles under her skin. The skin also felt like it was thickened.. gross. Luckily benadryl worked like a charm.

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:12:59 am »
Yuck! Ummm so I guess I should be mixing this stuff outside? LOL