Author Topic: Poor Lola..  (Read 9149 times)

Lyn

Poor Lola..
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:05:37 am »
On friday night Lola started straining to urinate. I called the vet and with the long weekend coming they were booked so they said to bring in a urine sample in the morning.

So I dropped the sample off and did some shopping and then stopped back in to get the results. I was expecting yup she has a bladder infection, here's her pills. Instead the tech says the vet wants to talk to me. My first thought was OH NO what's wrong?!

I felt like I waited forever ... Turns out the urine sample I brought in was so full of blood he couldn't see anything else. He told me to go get Lola immediately that he wanted to see her. OMG I'm freaking out big time. So we rush home get Lola and rush back. The vet took us in right away which freaked me out even more since they were so booked. Turns out he thought her ureathera was blocked or she had bladder stones. :o

After checking her over he said she was not blocked, her bladder was not enlarged and he didn't feel any stones or anything out of the ordinary. Phew... So he gave her 10 days of a broad spectrum antibiotic (Orbifloxacin) and I'm to bring in another sample of urine after the antibiotics are finished. If there is still blood present he wants to do an x-ray of her bladder.

She's been on the pills for 4 days now and I don't see anymore blood but she is still straining a bit. :( I'm worried that this is more than just a UTI.  :(

As a side note Timbits work awesome to conceal pills. :D Lola loves them so much she doesn't chew them so I push her pills in the middle. For those that don't know what timbits are... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbits

And since we had her at the vet I got her weight.. she's 130.5 pounds.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:02:32 am by Lyn »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Lola..
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:04:30 am »
I'm so sorry!  Poor Lola, it's no fun when it hurts to pee!  Here's hoping that it's nothing more then a nasty UTI, and the antibiotics clear it right up.  Thanks for the Timbit tip though!  I never woulda thought of that!  The Wiki-article was cute.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

jesday

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:48 am »
I honestly have a feeling this isn't a normal UTI. Friday night she threw up her dinner and saturday morning she threw up again and was panting. She had a UTI last summer she didn't act like this.  :( Although no more vomitting or panting since starting the meds.

So I guess I have to wait and see what this next urine test shows.
Poor Lola. Gosh, with these new symptoms I'd call the vet's back and let them know. It may be something you don't want to wait another 6 days for.

Here's hoping she gets better soon. :-*

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:25 am »
He knows.. I think that's why he freaked me out and told me to bring her in immediately thinking she could be blocked or have a kidney stone. Better safe than sorry right. But so far he's thinking it's just a very nasty painful UTI.

She's acting fine now since starting the antibiotics on Saturday afternoon.

I just collected another sample of her urine. I wanted to see if there is any blood in it and it looks normal pee to me, LOL. The sample I got friday was completely red. So there is improvement.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:34:16 am »
Poor girl! Hope she is doing better. As far as collecting urine, I don't know if I could be so quick!! I'm sure your neighbors have an opinion after watching you out in the yard!! ;D It seems like the girls here just keep passing diaarhea back and forth to each other.  :-[. When I have to give large pills I wrap them in a small piece of bread with peanut butter. They love it!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:52:37 am »
Poor Baby Lola!  Could you crush the pill up and mix it into something irresistible?  Naja will eat them wrapped up in cheddar cheese, little piggy doesn't suspect a thing.  She's just thrilled to be getting cheese.  ::)

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:01:10 am »
It took 4 timbits to give her 2 pills. I think she's catching on. LOL I'll try the hotdogs tomorrow. I might get another couple days before she figures it out. :D

I think she gets suspicious because I don't normally give her this stuff. It's hilarious though.. she won't even eat bread or peanut butter now. She instantly thinks their is a pill in it. :D

The vet warned me to not crush them, apparently they are really bitter. :-\

jesday

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 07:25:01 am »
Clever bubbers - Both my bubs are on different meds. I mix a little canned food in with their dry so I began giving their meds in a spoonful of the canned food. Sophie got wise and would turn her nose up at it. Sy copied sister. Now I have to take a spoonful of food only, let them sniff, turn up nose, then lift their lips and spread it inside. They lick and taste and then are - "Oohh, more, more" They gobble down the next spoonful which contains the meds.

EVERYDAY! Why don't they just gobble the first bite after all this time is beyond me.

Good continued luck with Lola and hope she is all better soon. :)

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:05 am »
Hotdogs worked this time! :P

6 days into the pills.. and she's still straining the odd time. I see a bladder x-ray in our future since she only has 4 days left of pills.  :(

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 03:36:22 am »
Just a little update. :)

The UTI seems to be gone. The straining stopped 3 days ago now and today is her last day of pills.

Now I just have to take another urine sample in later this week to make sure it's gone. But I'm pretty sure it is!  ;D

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 03:42:25 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:29 am »
I just called the vet today to schedule her heartworm test (I'm a bit behind) and the tech told me he has her marked down as in heat when he examined her on May 16th. :o She's not suppose to go into heat until the end of June.

In heat!!?? He didn't tell me because he thought I knew. Ummm NO! So yeah another silent heat.. this is the second one she's had. No bleeding, just slight swelling not really noticable unless your specifically looking for it. I'm thinking she's already going out of heat now since what swelling there was is going back to normal.

Frustrating yes.. But no worries, she hasen't been around any intact boys or any boys other than Bubba. Who apparently could care less. LOL

So that's part of the reason for the straining. She's marking to notify the neighborhood she's in heat.

Edited to remove my complaining.. LOL
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:51:47 am by Lyn »