Author Topic: Bubs will be the death of me!  (Read 5258 times)

jesday

Bubs will be the death of me!
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »
We only have to open our door and we get to walk through nature at its finest. But sometimes nature comes at a price. Thank goodness for wonderful neighbors and wonderful friends like Miss Yellow Dog herself, Patty.

With Sophie finally healed I decided to take them for a walk. She is still my wild child, so I keep her on a leash and let Syrus walk off lead. He is low energy and generally lumbers along.

Today we traveled to the end of semi-pavement, down fire access road, and finally off onto a deer trail. It is very hilly and steep in some areas covered with thick deer brush.

For some reason Syrus thinks he sees something and dives off the trail down the embankment and disappears into the brush. I hear a loud yelp, then nothing. I keep calling him and nothing. No movement in the brush, no sound, nothing. Just as I'm getting ready to tie up Sophie and head down to find him, his head emerges and he takes a few steps. He is limping on front left leg and holding up his right rear leg not putting any weight on it at all. Then he just plops down on the trail. He won't get up.

I'm thinking, what am I going to do? I'm a mile away from home in the brush on a deer trail with 150lb bubby who can't get up.

I always carry my cell phone, but Jack is in Iceland so who would I call? Thank goodness I had my neighbor's (one of only four) number on my phone. And double thank goodness he was home. He had to drive his pickup around the road, up the fire road and then walk down the deer trail to find me. Syrus still won't get up after all this time. The two of us carried him down the trail and into his pickup. Sophie was just kind of, "this is different. What are we doing?" But she got in the back as well with a little help.

Sorry this is so long, but the upshot is he drove me all the way to the vet. We dropped off Syrus and Mike took me home. I didn't want him to have to hang around at the vets until they were able to see Sy.

At home I fell apart and was really upset over the whole scenario which is where Patty comes in. I called her and, triple thank goodness, she was able to talk to me. She has such a wonderful calming voice and yet did not make me feel like I was overreacting. :-* :-* :-*

So, my Vet feels Syrus aggravated his elbow dysplasia on his front leg and thinks he has a bad sprain on his rear. No broken bones and appears to have not blown his ACL, however she is not as certain that he may not have torn it some. Anti-inflammatories and bedrest for the boy for a few days and then re-exam.

As I mentioned to Patty - How in the world did Lewis and Clark make it clear across the U.S. with the famous Newfoundland, Seamus? I can't even get out my back door!

Viking Lady

Re: Bubs will be the death of me!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:35:59 pm »
Oh my gosh! I thought I had an interesting morning at the vet getting Luke's annual shots, dew claw trim, check up, and heartworm, drawing blood stuff. He is such a baby, all three of us ladies (including the Dr.)were lying on the floor in some fashion trying to console him while all the procedures were done. It was quite a work out, and very comical.

I am so sorry about Syrus. I hope it is just a sprain and that everything will take care of itself. Poor guy. I'm glad you could call Patty and get a calm perspective. And thank goodness for your nice neighbor. I am guessing your neighbors are familiar with your Calamity Jane reputation?

I am praying for a speedy recovery!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:18:31 am »
That poor big boy! I think your right - your bubs are going to make your hair white!! You sure have one nice neighbor. Hope all of you are feeling better now (Syrus & your nerves).
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:04:30 am »
I hope Syrus has a speedy recovery. Hopefully next time he won't go diving into the brush but somehow I doubt he's learned his lesson....newf s aren't too bright LOL.  I think you should send your neighbor some sort of gift for being so nice.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10:43 am »
Good Grief!  If its not one thing its another it seems!  Thank goodness you had your phone, and the presence of mind to call your neighbor.  Doesn't Syrus know that you've had enough heart ache for awhile, and you really don't need to be wondering about another Bubs' joints just yet?  Let alone the strain on your poor pocket book!

Well here's hoping that he didn't do too much damage, and that he heals up quickly with little medication.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

jesday

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:55 am »
Thanks guys for the good wishes. Syrus is very stiff today, but more like his whole body. So hoping His Goofness will be okay in a few more days.

Batch of homemade cookies given to neighbor earlier today. We may not have many neighbors, but thank goodness for the ones we have.

I started carrying my cell phone since I got stuck in the snow up to my chest chasing them as pups. The real blessing was that I actually had it charged. ;)

lorim2

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:39:25 am »
Oh poor you!  I sure hope Syrus is feeling better.  I know you were scared to death..thank goodness all is well.  A big hug to Ms Idaho too...she is such a wonderful person..I told her this morning she is my bestest cyber friend ever!!  Hope everyones better today!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:23:07 am »
Forgot to mention if it happens again which knowing your two it might  ;) and you can't get ahold of anyone try calling the fire department as they may be able to come out and help you.  They help stranded cats so why not a 150 lb newfy LOL!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties