Author Topic: Questions to ask a breeder???  (Read 9439 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Questions to ask a breeder???
« on: June 02, 2009, 01:26:29 pm »
Okay I'm going to be meeting with the bernese mountain dog breeder this weekend and want to know if anyone can think of a few more good questions to ask.  I figure this may also be helpful for other members in the future too.

Ones I have so far:
What are you looking for from this pairing?
What are the health clearances for both parents?
Any problems that are in your lines(HD, cancer, allergies etc)?
What are you doing to rectify them?
What is your contract like (specifics on gurantees and neutering)?
Do you temperment test?
What have you done for socialization or plan to do before the pups leave?
When do you let the pups leave?
Food/vaccine recommendation s?

So can anyone think of anything I'm forgetting?  I plan to talk to my vet to see if she can think of anything but figured you guys may think of stuff too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Questions to ask a breeder???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:49:51 pm »
How exciting!!!

Are you looking for a show pup or a pet one?
You could ask to see her contact ahead of the time  ;) Most of the breeders have it ready  :) You could also look up their health clearances online as well on www.offa.com
Most of the states have laws at what age puppies can go to new homes which NORMALLY should not be before 8 weeks of age.
It seems you got it all covered about food/vaccination questions since BMD have MANY issues and should be on home made or HIGH quality kibble diet so you will know as soon as she/he tells you what they feed their dogs  ;)
Good luck and keep us posted  :-*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:52:53 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:52:46 am »
I do have the answers for some of the questions I listed.  Unfortunately she doesn't have the mom's info on Berner Garde but she did tell me they were all passing and I didn't write down the male's name so that I have to get so I can look him up.  She feeds her adults Orijen and keeps track of any problems litters have as far as allergies which I think is pretty good.  This is her female's first litter so no past info on her. If I remember correctly her brother had one questionable hip or elbow but the breeder said her vet said her hips and elbows are some of the best he's seen. I haven't met her but I met her mother who has the best temperment and is beautiful. The breeder also gives a puppy book with her puppies with all info about what you need and the breed.

And I'm looking for a pet puppy to maybe do some drafting and therapy dog work with if the puppy is suitable once it's old enough.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:55:12 am »
I do have the answers for some of the questions I listed.  Unfortunately she doesn't have the mom's info on Berner Garde but she did tell me they were all passing and I didn't write down the male's name so that I have to get so I can look him up. 

While she may be responsible for listing the dog on Berner Garde, OFA does is automatically if the dog is tested and has passed (other then CERF which she would submit the paper work on). This would be stop 1 for me, check and see that the sire and dam has ALL of the required testing for the breed. Berners at this time are CHIC required to have Hips, Elbows, VwD, CERF and Cardiac.

Do not take the breeders word that they passed check the fact for yourself!

All the dogs passing results will show on one page like this...
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1360970#animal

Along with what you have listed I would also ask where the puppies are raised.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:11:34 am by VdogLover »