Author Topic: saarloos wolfhound anyone?  (Read 12329 times)

Offline shy-faiz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
saarloos wolfhound anyone?
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »
hi
  i didnt no where to post this really

i am just wondering if anyone has a sarloos wolfhound on bpo?

thanks ,
               shy-faiz

owned by
gsd Reggie - dob 20/1/2011
alaskan malamute Zach - dob 26/12/2008
4 cats
Foster dog Crystal - whippet x staff
2 budgies
2 hamsters
and many fish

<3 RIP JOOP <3 15.09.2003 - 13.06.2012 forever walking with us

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: saarloos wolfhound anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »
Don't even know what breed that is??

Offline shy-faiz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:29:09 am »
a sarloos wolfhound/wolfdog is a german shepherd cross wolf.
thanks ,
               shy-faiz

owned by
4 cats
2 budgies
2 hamsters
and many fish

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:21:11 am »
VERY interesting I had no idea that there was actually recognised breedings of this cross!

In 1921, Dutch breeder Leendert Saarloos started crossbreeding a German Shepherd Dog male to a female Eurasian Wolf (Canis lupus lupus). He aimed for an improved version of the German Shepherd Dog which was immune to distemper, and succeeded insofar that the Saarlooswolfdo g we know is a strong imposing dog, but they kept their wolflike characteristic s; they are cautious, reserved and lack the ferocity to attack; it is not the dog that Leendert Saarloos hoped to get. His theory was also proven wrong, as nearly all the first generation hybrids succumbed to distemper. Until he died in 1969 Leendert Saarloos was in full control over the breeding of his "European wolfdog". The Dutch Kennel Club recognized the breed in 1975. To honor its creator they changed the name to "Saarlooswolfdo g". In 1981 the breed was recognized by the Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI). In the past, some Saarlooswolfdo gs were trained as guide dogs for the blind and rescue dogs. They are very rare and purebreds can cost up to $2,000.

[edit] Size/Appearance
The Saarloos is a fairly large dog, up to 30 inches at the shoulder and weighing up to 100 lbs. The muzzle is wide, and the ears pointed and held erect. It is an athletic dog in build, with medium bone, and a strong and muscular body. Their coat is short and dense, providing superb protection from the weather. Usually the colour of the wolf's coat, however it can vary between Black, Tan, Red, White, Silver, or Blue. The Saarloos has wolf-like expressions, as well as a wolf-like head.

[edit] Ownership
The Saarlooswolfho und is a breed for experienced dog owners, due to its size and strength. It is a bold and daring dog, this is not a dog for first time owners. It needs a lot of exercise, as it doesn't tire easily. Apartment life is not appropriate for this breed. The Saarloos does best in country or suburban surroundings. Owners must establish the dominant alpha position, because the animal needs a strong alpha leader, as well as a social atmosphere. Most owners have at least two to provide the necessary pack, because the animals are still pack-oriented. The breed is very intelligent. Isolation intensifies anti-social behavior, and the dogs panic if locked in an enclosed space. Owners must train their animal with a great deal of patience because the breed doesn’t take well to obedience and is extremely strong-willed. They have a tendency to become especially attached to one person, and are extremely loyal to their master. The breed rarely barks, alerting the owner in various, other ways. It is recommended not to have a Saarlooswolfho und around children or other animals,

Offline shy-faiz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:43:46 am »

my aunty has one he is absoulutly beautiful - hes called mackya - i was curious if anyone has/had or knows anyone with a saarloos wolfhound on bpo!!
thanks ,
               shy-faiz

owned by
4 cats
2 budgies
2 hamsters
and many fish

Offline shy-faiz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:00:29 am »
This is my aunts saarloos mackya at 5 months
thanks ,
               shy-faiz

owned by
4 cats
2 budgies
2 hamsters
and many fish

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:55:12 am »
Mackya is very cute~!  He looks a lot like my first "dog" Jasper.  Jasper was GSD/Husky/Wolf and had a lot of the traits that Patrick's post indicates for the Saarloos.

Jasper though loved my boys (he was 8 when I had my first son) and would have protected them with his life.  No need for me to worry if I wanted to take a walk late at night either.   ;D
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids