Author Topic: Active dreams or something else?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Active dreams or something else?
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:25:36 am »
Hi all,

Cooper has been with us a month and has been totally great. Until this week, my daughter had the flu and husband was out of town so Cooper didn't get as much attention/long walks etc. as he's used to. He still got lots of petting, but a few romps in the backyard/day were all I could get for him since I could not leave a small child with 103 temp alone in the house for more than a few minutes at a time.

So, he chewed a shoe, started stealing stuff off the tables/counters, and peed in the living room. I'm attributing this stuff to bored/annoyed young dog behavior and am not terribly concerned.

My daughter was better yesterday and my husband home, so I took him out for a good long walk/playdate with doggie friends and to obedience class at night, in addition to romps in the yard.

Last night around midnight the whole house was awakened by howling/crying from downstairs. It was Cooper and he sounded really distressed. I FLEW downstairs and found him, standing, prancing, wagging his tail by the gate. I checked him all over and he seemed fine, nothing was amiss in the room. He immediately lay down at my feet in a ball.

I took him out to see if he needed to go, and he lay down in the yard (pretty typical for him, even when raining, lol). So I brought him back inside, grabbed my pillow and blanket, and slept on the couch. There was no more whining or crying.

He may have been asleep when he cried? He does have, uh, vivid dreams, with lots of paw movement, chewing, tail wagging and the occasional bark (lol).

I can't figure it out. He's not quite himself, but he is eating, sleeping, playing, pooping and peeing. The only things he has swiped from tables has been food and nothing bad for dogs (a couple of crackers, a lick of chicken soup, and a bit of vanilla ice cream). I just can't figure it out.

Just looking for suggestions or thoughts, I guess. I'm a worrier!

Thanks all,
Mary

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Active dreams or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:12:56 am »
Don't know how old he is but he sure has your number!  That howling worked great to get him some company!

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
Don't know how old he is but he sure has your number!  That howling worked great to get him some company!

LOL! This thought definitely did not escape me either. I'm just such a worrier! :)

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »
Have a look at the 'Newfie Howl thread".
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:02:40 am »
Have a look at the 'Newfie Howl thread".

That's IT! OMG I am laughing right now because Cooper does all those things in his sleep - he chews, "runs", kicks out his back legs, wags his tail, barks and more. Thanks for the thread, reading that made my day.

Mary