Author Topic: We are having a dog trainer come to the house  (Read 12368 times)

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
We are having a dog trainer come to the house
« on: July 15, 2009, 06:29:53 am »
Hi its me Rachel in Vt again. Maximus is having a hard time with strangers coming to the house. Such as the mailman, ups , different people besides the regular daycare parents. He is becoming aggressive towards them. One daycare dad as he was leaving the house Maximus got aggresive with. He hasn't bitten anyone, but acts like he wants to
So after much frustration, we are having a dog trainer come to the house to assess the situation and then start working on a plan. The classes we have gone to have used a choker collar, these people use the clicker method.
Any experience with having someone come and evaluate, what if she tells us he is a lost cause,
He is a beautiful dog who thinks he is serious guard dog. I don't mind him being a guard dog, I want him to cut it out when I tell him to
Rachel

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: We are having a dog trainer come to the house
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:10 am »
Having the trainer come will help a lot but it also might be wise to put him up when you have all that human traffic coming and going.  He is a guard breed so naturally has these tendencies- however training will help him understand when to guard and when to defer to you.

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57:03 am »
Thanks Patrick,
My concern is that she will tell us we are doing everything wrong! I spoke with my husband and son about how when she gives us homework we all have to do it.
Right now Maximus is in his play yard outside looking in with pleading eyes. He barks every few minutes and then lays down.
Do you think she will want him in a kennel all day?
Rachel

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:33:49 am »
Well, who knows but if you are not taking the right approach here is your opportunity to learn!  Clicker training can be great but calls for a commitment on your part in order for it to work.  You do have an escalating problem- perfect time to fix it.  But you do have to start considering whether it is safe for your dog being in the midst of a steady stream of people right now if he is becoming aggressive- the safety of the children and parents comes first.  I have guard dogs also but I put them up when there are strangers wandering around.  I trust my dogs completely but not all people are dog savvy and kids are just an accident waiting to happen.

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:40:16 pm »
HI Patrick,
I agree with you. He is great with the kids, but we have to remember he is a dog not a person. He has been outside all day and is doing a good job today. When he barks excessively we have been going out and throwing water at him. It has quieted him quite a bit.
I am actually excited about her coming. I love this dog, but I don't want him to be a menace. He is too big and strong for that.
Rachel 

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:16:15 pm »
Don't throw water at the poor guy. If he's barking to get your attention and you come out and douse him with water it's only going to make him fear you every time you go outside.  You don't want him to associate you with that kind of punishment as it only serves to break the bond you guys share.

You could try a citronella bark collar but I would consult someone on how to use it properly and only after you tried other options.  What he really needs is to learn that being outside and away from you isn't so bad.  Give him something to do when he's out there.  A big raw femur bone, a tire he can chew on, whatever he loves that will keep him occupied and happy.  Does he get out and get regular exercise before he's left in the backyard?  Is he good with other dogs?  Can he go to doggie daycare once a week?  Or have a dog walker come and take him for a hike?

This should be a reminder that when looking for a dog you need to keep your lifestyle in mind and choose the appropriate breed.  Not saying you can't have a guard dog with a busy household.  It just takes a lot of work to train and manage.  So good on you for getting someone in there to help you out.  And if you are concerned the trainer will say that you're doing it all wrong, imagine what kind of dog you'll have when you're given the tools and advice on how to do it right!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »
When he barks excessively we have been going out and throwing water at him. It has quieted him quite a bit.

Please don't ever do this - or other punitive things that dogs can't reason.  As was said, you are only teaching him that you coming out to him means bad things for him and could be escalating his people problem.

I think a trainer to the home is a great idea and am very relieved that you have found a positive trainer who will use a clicker.  I trust she will teach you how to avoid using all negatives with him that fail to show him what you want him to do.......

Putting him outside all day is not optimal - dogs are pack animals and isolation is the worst thing for them.  Working dogs who work outside all day are focused on a job at hand (mental stimulation) and stay with their flock, owner, etc.  Simply being banished in a backyard is punishment.

Patrick gives good advice in my view - I have never met this breed that wasn't aggressive with strangers on the property - this is the breed.  So if there are people coming around, putting him in a quiet room (that signifies calm, peace, and positive) is a good idea.....not some place that will be construed as punishment.  Also, when put in this place, he should be given a stuffed kong or something to occupy him, keep him focused and stimulated and positive.

Think Positive!  All things positive.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:23:59 am »
Thanks you guys for all your positive advice. We only did the water thing yesterday cause husband read it somewhere. I won't do it anymore. I don't want him to think I am being mean to him. He loves it outside, he doesn't say a peep when the kids and I are out there or when he is on his run. The problem with him being on his run is when people come to the house. He asks to go outside most of the time.
Yes I am so excited about the trainer coming. My son got this dog three years ago after much protest from me. Much protest. Then of course kids moves out, leaves dog.
I get so frustrated because I love him sooo much and want him to be good. I do not have a problem with him being a guard dog, I just don't want him to hurt anyone. Because ultimately it is the responsibility of a dog owner to have control of his or her dog.
I am choosing to have hope and faith that with work and patience this will work out
Rachel

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09:45 am »
The dog trainer just emailed me. They can't make it tomorrow afternoon. She wanted to know about Monday morning. Mornings are chaos around here and hubby can't miss work.So I will wait to see what she comes up with.
Rachel

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:45:54 am »
Is there a doggie day care in your area? Maybe he could use some "pack" time during the day - sounds like he's happy when you and your daycare kids are in the yard and he's nearby in his playard, and likes the company.

A friend of mine has a gorgeous GSD (pup) who's exhibiting similar protective/aggressive tendencies that seem to be getting worse, and she is doing both a trainer at the house and a day of doggie day care every week.

Good luck,

Mary

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »
thanks Mary,
They are coming on Monday. If all goes well I may put him in their doggie daycare one day a week. I wanted to get his pain from his hips managed first
Rachel