Author Topic: Flies  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Puddypie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Flies
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »
Hello!

I have a Great Pyr who lives with my alpacas and the flies absolutely LOVE her nose.  I have tried SWAT (pink) and an essential oil and Equisect but she hates them all.  She will run from me when she sees me enter the pasture.  My husband and I have coaxed her with treats and it has seemed to work but does anyone have any suggestions that she might not despise so bad?

Thanks!

Tricia Morton
Kal's Corner Alpaca Farm
Columbia City, IN

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Flies
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:10:25 pm »
Which Essential oil did you try?  I have a blend that is for insect repellent.  This recipe uses Young Living oils, you can check out their website at www.younglivin g.com

Insect Repellent

10 Drops Citronella
10 Drops Purification
10 Drops Eucalyptus globulus
10 Drops Peppermint
8 Ounces of water

Drop the essential oils into the water in a spray bottle or other 8oz container and shake well.

You could also try feeding her garlic, flies hate garlic!
Hope this helps!
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:00:44 pm »
Try just plain ol vaseline- slather it all round her nose and bridge of nose as well  I also would spray their head with skin so soft- another insect repellant that is natural

Offline Puddypie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:54:12 am »
Thanks to all!

I have tried Skin so Soft and do think it works, but again, she don't want me to put anything on her and avoids me like the pague when she sees me coming.

My essential oil I am using is from Young Living.  I think it is called animal scents?

I think the treat afterwards is doing the trick though.  I will continue with that.

THANKS!

Tricia Morton

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:45 pm »
what about fly off? they sell it at petco