Author Topic: Knockout for Fleas  (Read 3251 times)

smohr

Knockout for Fleas
« on: August 20, 2005, 12:09:23 pm »
Someone mentioned fleas in a post and it crossed my mind about a product my vet suggested 3 years ago that ACTUALLY WORKS.  I treat my pets w/monthly flea treatments, but 3 doors down is a woman who owns 20 cats (she keeps every stray that crosses her property) and just walking near her property gets you at least 100 fleas clinging for new blood.  Every home on the block seemed to be infested and people were having their homes sprayed by professionals but the fleas were coming back.  I asked the vet and she suggested Virbac's Knockout E.S. with Nylar that is sold in vet's offices.  I took the pets outside sprayed all the carpets, under beds, in closets, under furniture, following instructions and left the house for the short time it says for the carpets to dry.  No long waiting or airing out.  By nightfall, no fleas were jumping on my feet.  Every spring, I spray it on and no problems!!  I'd recommend it highly.  It's a bit expensive, but far from having pros come in and visits to the vet.  I still use monthly flea treatments, but I haven't had a flea in the house in 3 years.  The can says it prevents reinfestation for 7 months, but it lasts a year for me.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Knockout for Fleas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 12:20:56 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I do monthly treatments on all my animals too, but once after having brought in a stray cat, well lets just say, I was new in this county (we do not have fleas in sweden) and the fleas all loved me, and they reproduced like crazy. Before I knew it we had a problem, at least I thought so. I used the "bomb" method but it was a lot messier than what you describe, I had to of course take all the pets out, set the thing off and then leave for hmmmm think 30-45 mins, then home open to air out for at least 3 hours and then wipe off all counters and tables and everything else. I will note this product because if I ever have to treat my house again, I certainly dont wish to do it the way I did last time.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 02:48:54 pm »
I used the diatematious earth also...for ants.  We had them really bad this year...cleared it up and not another problem....  I love it and no chemicals...YI PEEEEE!!!!

smohr

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 03:40:49 pm »
Never heard of the ocean stuff...have to check that out too.  Thanks.