Author Topic: Nibbling  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Uncanny

• Gnawer
  • My Sioux
    • View Profile
Nibbling
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:17:58 am »
So...I haven't been on in awhile but I have a quick question.  Both of our greater swiss mountain dogs have started to nibble on my husband's chin.  They aren't playing and they're not excited... when they are licking him, they just start nibbling a little.  He is the only person they do this too and we were just wondering why they do this.  We had a Mastiff in the past that did it also, and we're just curious why big dogs to this.
Owned by:
Sioux - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Smoke - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Amaga - Bengal mix
Bandit - Our little black and white kitten

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Nibbling
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:39:05 pm »
I believe that is a special gift- it is a grooming move that they give only to their most treasured companions.  Mine will do it on my arm

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »
exactly!! because if you have ever watched your dog for a long time, when they clean there own fur they do that to them selves,

my dog dose it to me to

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:42:53 pm »

In my house, we call those kisses (others call licks kisses - but not us) and as Patrick states - very special :)

Puppies do this as a loving gesture mostly to their mom, and most then outgrow or don't do it anymore (not the same as self-grooming) - so those who continue to do it, do it out of a respectful loving gesture to their leader.

My Berner does this to me and I cherish it - even when it hurts :)
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar