Author Topic: My Ebony Is Losing Her Backside-SO Sad  (Read 14852 times)

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
My Ebony Is Losing Her Backside-SO Sad
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:10:59 pm »
Hi All......

Very sad today because our Newf, Ebony, is losing the use of her back legs.  Her left leg is the worst but her right leg isn't doing very well either.  She's pretty much having to pull her body up to stand from her shoulders and sometimes she can get her back legs to to cooperate and many times her legs drag behind her.  It's heartbreaking.

We LOVE our Ebony.  She's basically a therapy dog for our nine year old daughter who has autism and she's brilliant w/ our son who has T21.

I don't know what to do from here.  I took her to a vet about a month ago when she started limping and after $375, which included remadyl and a doggie "narcotic" for the pain, we didn't see much of a difference.  The vet wanted to do a sedated x-ray on her hips but we can't afford another $400 just to see what may or may not be happening.

Knew you guys here would understand.... .

Sad in SoCal,

Gigi

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: My Ebony Is Losing Her Backside-SO Sad
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »
It is so hard to see our companion's health fail.  There are things you can do to help her out that don't cost much- she should lose weight to help her pain  and be kept in a much thinner weight so that her rear don't have to work so hard.  You also could give her a buffered aspirin for pain and she should be on glucosamine daily a minimum of 1500-2000 mg- you can get this relatively inexpensive at Walmart.  You don't say how old she is but quality of her life is also important - if elderly you might want to thinking about helping her across the rainbow bridge

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:07 am »
at peto they sell like a lifthing thing, you put it around the dogs hips sorta like a harness and you can help her up and down and help her walk, it ease the pain,

im very sorry to hear that this is happening,

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:48:49 am »
I can understand, my avatar has left us for the same reasons,
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.