Author Topic: Elevated dog feeder  (Read 6438 times)

Offline iwdennis22

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Elevated dog feeder
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:56:37 am »
Does anyone have advice on where to find a fairly inexpensive yet sturdy raised dog feeder?  It would be for out Irish Wolfhound Dennis who's about 36 inches tall and would need to hold two 5-qt bowls.
thanks,
Mary

Kiahpyr

Re: Elevated dog feeder
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:18:30 pm »
I got mine at Big Lots. I 'm not sure how many quarts it is though. Another place to look is petco or petsmart.

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 12:43:13 pm »
We got one of ours at petco, and the other thru mail order at Drs Foster and Smith. I'm not sure of the quarts though. The petco one is the largest and can hold 16 cups of dry food per side. Not much help, but good luck in your search.
Stella

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:25:49 pm »
Geez!  All you people have special food bowl holders?  I feel like such a bad mom!  :-\ Since each of our babies has a different food, we have a separate RubberMade bin for each of them.  Their bowls just sit right on top of their bins.

You are not a bad MOM!!! I got into feeders for my dogs when one of my largest dobies got arthritis and couldn't bend to eat. I stayed with them because my kitchen is small and it kept the three dogs stationary, not chasing their bowls all over the floor. I wasn't smart enough to put them on a stool, chair or bin. ;)
Stella

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 04:43:39 pm »
I have the raised one that you can adjust..not sure how high it gets.  I got it at petsmart for like 19.00

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 06:57:32 pm »
Petsmart. Ours holds two bowls and you can store all of the food in the bin underneath. This feature is good so the dog can not knock over the food and water dishes. It was only $50 or so.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 12:39:11 am »
I am thinking I should raise Samson's dishes...Pippi n is a smart boy...He has started to lie down to eat & drink...Either smart or lazy!...lol!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:51:32 am »
I am thinking I should raise Samson's dishes...Pippi n is a smart boy...He has started to lie down to eat & drink...Either smart or lazy!...lol!

Kiah did that laying down thing to eat too. That's why we got an elevated feeder. I think she was just being lazy.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 01:27:40 pm »
I got one from Target that I love - it was inexpensive, but sturdy and really cute. I just looked online and they don't have it listed, but I am sure they still carry it in the stores. It has a blue wood blase and ceramic bowls with blue paw prints on them. Except for a few scratch marks it has held up perfectly in the year I've had it.
RIP former BPO

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 01:34:37 pm »
what about water???

i'm thinking about using a water pail (from Home Depot no less) to feed Nikki... these 2 qt bowls from Big Lots are miniscule, and the 5 qt stainless steel stuff @ Petco is like.. $20!  !#!$@$

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 07:19:43 pm »
For raised feeders, I've actually considered buying some 5 gallong buckets, weighing them down with sand or rocks, and setting his bowls on the rims as they should fit.  A 5 gallon bucket should cost minimally at either a Home Depot, or a feed store.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 02:53:13 pm »
I found mine at petsmart, I think it was around 30-40.  If you haven't gotten one yet, I recommend getting the one that is metal and is basically a wire frame.  We got a plastic one b/c we thought it would be sturdier, but food and water gets underneath the bowls and gets smelly and messy.  The plastic one requires a lot of cleaning.  Good luck finding one!