Author Topic: Food for Mastiff puppy  (Read 16764 times)

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Food for Mastiff puppy
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:45:17 am »
I have been told several different types of food to give my 7 month old puppy by her vet and by the trainer. The vet of course says Eukanuba (sp?)  but another vet said that that creates too much poop so give her science diet, which I have never heard good thinks about. Her trainer suggests several brands but she seems to enjoy Royal Canin and Choice Selection. I was just wondering what you all thought. She is rather shy but is coming out of it. Our trainer suggests certain foods that wont mess up her emotions too much because she is shy around big people. Thanks  :)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Food for Mastiff puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 02:31:10 am »
Hi Sierra.

Well the best thing you can do is to research, you will get lots of different ideas about what is good food and not. I have mind you never  heard of a food that will have an impact on dogs emotions or shyness around people. Not to show disrespect for the trainer but where is this trainer and what exactly in the food does he or she suggest would have an impact like that on a dog?

I have mastiffs myself and what goes for them is basically the same as with all giant breeds. You didnt say what kind of mastiff you have, is it a bullmastiff, oem, napol. or any other kind?

One of the most important things especially if your puppy is an OEM or other giant rather than large breed is the protein level in the food you give. If they grow too fast it can harm their joints and bones. Also look into the different supplements, some kind of joint supplement is very important to start as early as possible with our big guys.

Here is a link to a list with food that are concidered good and working well on big puppies

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/criteria_list_of_better_foods.htm

I would love to see pics of your baby  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:20:35 pm »
I finally got my computer working again and can send pics of my baby, thanks for the advice about the food. She is a princess if nothing elseaugust 19 038.jpg

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 12:41:17 pm »
We feed our OEM Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food and we do not give her any supplements. Our vet wants us to keep her on the light side. She is currently four months old and around 53lbs. We do not free feed her she is on a schedule of food 3-4 cups of food 3 times per day.  Keeping them light until they are around 2 years old is beneficial in the long run to their joints, and your wallet. I would post a recent pic but all of my files are larger than 400k

Offline cheesemastiff

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 05:42:46 pm »
I spent a great deal of time researching this topic as I had a EM puppy with bowed legs when I got him.  Most foods over the counter come with by-product as a main ingredient.  You want beef "meal" or chicken "meal" as the main ingredient...n ot byproduct.  Surpising..but check out science diet and iams and you will find by-product.

Anyway, to the point.... calcium/phosphorous balance is the main issue.  Nutro's Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy food is the best overall.  You can get chicken or lamb flavors.  Our pups like the lamb better and it is also lower on protein, which is said by some to be good.  I found the debate over protein to have 2 camps.  One saying low protein, one saying high needed.  What I learned from reading vet's takes on this was the cal/phos issue is what matters...this is what causes bone growth problems when feeding the wrong ratios, not protein.  Most dog foods have alot of bone meal as filler in them and this is what throws off this balance.  I believe by researching, that the people at nutro are of the few that have created a dog food to deal with this issue.  It's not the protein...pups need protein to grow.  It's not about slowing growth, it's about growing correctly.  Anyway, royal canine is the only other food I would recommend, however, for much less money, the nutro is the obvious winner.  Hope this helps. ;D