Author Topic: ? About Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas  (Read 4302 times)

smohr

? About Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:40:26 am »
Last week some of you gave me advice about diatomaceous earth to treat fleas inside on carpets.  Can this be used outside on lawns and barns?  A friend who cares for other people's pets/livestock has clients on a cruise for 5 weeks (already gone 2 wks) and called them about their house, lawn & barn being infested w/fleas.  They said to do "whatever" and in talking w/her I told her about the stuff you advised.  She wants to know if it can be used outside too.  Anyone know?  She's being eaten alive while she's there, not to mention their horses, cows, newfs and Irish wolfhounds they breed.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: ? About Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:50:49 am »
yep you can use it outside too...although it works against all bugs and spiders - even the good ones...just so you know  Works great with ants...we don't have fleas here but I have heard it works great with fleas...get the type they sell at the nurseries not the kind at the pool stores.

smohr

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:40:45 am »
Thank you.  She lives in another state and since she lives in a more rural area than I do, she should be able to find it.  I've called 3 places here and they don't carry it!!! harrrummphhhh!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:17:30 pm »
Isn't that made from volcanic ash?  Just curious.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 12:31:24 pm »
bet you could order it online.  We had it at our nursey around the corner. 

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/de_permaguard.aspx

I think it is made up of the skeletal remains of diatoms...some aquatic creature.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 01:01:13 pm »
I've used it a lot, it is a good deterrent.  But it doesn't really work very well to kill ants/fleas.  And I don't think you would want to be sprinkling this stuff in your carpet or anything if you value your lungs at all.  It is composed of tiny little sharp fossils that will actually cut the fleas/ants or make them not comfortable.  Also, if it gets wet, it is no longer any good.  You can get it at any farm or garden shop.

Here is the MSDS on it:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/d1288.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:03:13 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 06:37:12 pm »
It killed all of my ants...we had terrible ants this year..and have not seen any since.....I sprinkle it around the house and in frint f the doors...seems to help.