Author Topic: Timid Puppies  (Read 4794 times)

lins_saving_grace

Timid Puppies
« on: April 13, 2005, 01:03:18 pm »
Does anyone else here have timid Rotts?  Mine is almost 11 weeks old.  She's very comfortable in the house, yard and with us and our other Rott, Lady.  But she won't leave the yard to go for a walk unless Lady leads the way and she's not comfortable with people as much as I'd like her to be.  She loves company coming into the house, but doesn't like people approaching her in the yard.  I will break her of this somehow because I want her to be extremely friendly, but I'd like to hear how you have done this.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:06:50 pm by lins_saving_grace »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Timid Puppies
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:24:33 pm »
Your timid little baby is a cutie pie!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:36:36 am »
Well you need to do something now
She need the reassurance before she is 4 months of age
The 4-6  months of age is the critical time
But my suggesstion is take her to a park allone or another place near your house and walk her back alone
Take her as much as you can with out the other dog
I only walk my dogs with a pup for a very short time just to lead train
And a couple of house rules
Ask people to pet your pup at the pups level
It is also important that your pup lears to be  lead by different people not just one.
Have a radio with loud  rock and roll play day and night near the pup
I hope this  may help
Ann Oppelaar

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:05:59 am »
There is some article out that recommends that a puppy meet 100 people by the time they are 4 months old.  I just sold a puppy and they actually kept track and their puppy had met 102 people by the time it was 4 months old.  It can be the same people but at different locations.  Take her every where you go - if she can't go in  she can at least take a walk around the parking lot.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 10:46:07 am »
Thank you for your advise.  I need to get on that.  This Rott has been a little resistant.  The good thing is that she will come around, she's just "sensitive" is all.  The vet last night was very impressed.   She hates car rides right now though. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 10:46:42 am »
Thank you.  Yours is a doll too!  All fur even.

Offline coco90

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 01:28:11 pm »

hi y name is bob i have 2 rottweilers. i have a 7 year old female and i also have a 7 month old rott female. i wanted to ask you where are you located and if you have a male stud or if you have listings.

thanks for your help

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 08:37:36 am »
Well I'm proud of Little Grace.  I had her meet some neighbors last night and she warmed up moderately well.  She liked their kids more because as soon as they sat on the ground with her she was all over them.  They had three dalmations with them too so she got dog socialization in there too.  She was still a little shy about it..but we'll make progress.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 09:41:42 am »
No I don't have a male stud.  When I was looking for Grace though a lot of the breeders have stud services.  We are in Michigan and I found listings for breeders in the state with stud services.  You might want to do a web search.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 06:51:23 am »
Oh my goodness!!!!!! My heart just broke.  The puppy is SOOOOOO adorable!