Author Topic: Labs in Apt.s  (Read 16759 times)

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
Labs in Apt.s
« on: August 28, 2005, 02:37:59 pm »
Can I get an idea of what everybody thinks of labradors living in an apartment?  I had a lab before that spent her youth in a rural area but lived in a small apartment in NYC from time to time. 

I have a roommate that is against"large dogs" in the apt.  I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were. 

Energy levels, when a puppy, when older wtc - if you lived in an apartment.  I know people live in apartments with even larger breeds.  Anything you got would be helpful

thanks in advance

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Labs in Apt.s
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 02:40:56 pm »
I don't think that there is anything wrong with labs being in an apartment.  As long as they get plenty of exercise. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 02:56:12 pm »

I think you could do it, but it would take an IMMENSE commitment.

Puppies of sporting breeds need LOTS of exercise, and labs are well known for their chewing habits.

House training would be more difficult, but not impossible.

A rescue, or an older puppy (6 mos or so) might be a LOT easier in that situation.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 03:29:07 pm »
I know of two calm, easy to handle labs in my life. Both are seniors and very well trained. Both live in apartments. But, they were adopted as seniors,too. I dont know about letting a high energy puppy or young adult live in an apartment,however. Seems seniors are much more settled,calm and all.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 04:54:40 pm »
I think that it is fine to have a medium-large dog in an apartment as long as you are committed to multiple walks and play sessions. As long as you provide lots of supervised outside time, it is okay for there to be a smaller inside space.

I think that you would have two problems getting a puppy now though: 1. If your roomate is opposed to having a large dog around that is going to be a major problem
2. I remember from your introductory post that you are in law school and very busy - the dog will need at least 2 half hour walks a day and if you get a puppy puppy they also need to go out to potty like every 2 hours until they are housbroken - will you have time for that?
RIP former BPO

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 07:00:32 pm »
I think it all depends on the dogs energy level...Great Danes are great for apt. life...Very low energy dogs....My 2 Great Pyrenees live in two rooms of my home with privleges to other parts of my home when invited...My dogs don't hardly move inside...Again, they are low energy dogs...They do have almost an acre fenced in to romp in outside but they romp for a short while & then lie down in the grass...I think if you have a Lab that is younger living in an apt. you have to be committed to helping him/her get rid of that excess Lab energy...Perha ps an older Lab would not need as much outlet for the energy level.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 07:13:37 pm »
I would be totally against it.  We brought up a Hunting breed in a 3 bedroom house and she ate the wall.  Chewed through her crate, and went through the drywall, insulation to te other side.  I would stay away from Labs as they are the psycho puppies of the dog world.  I would stay away from hunting dogs and from hearding dogs as, without a job to do, they can be very destructive, and uncontrollable .  Even though Araby's 3 now she could run and play all day and still not be tired at night.  I'm not trying to put a damper on the breed you want by any means, it's just working in rescue I specialized in putting the right dog with the right family, and honestly it just doesn't sound like a Lab is right for you at ths very minute.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 07:58:11 pm »
I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the dog, it's the energy level that you need to take into consideration. A young lab is going to be a dog who has a tremendous amount of energy, and it's the kind of energy that would be best expressed in a fenced area where the dog can run run run without worrying about a leash! Some neighbors of mine have labs in their fenced back yard and that isn't even enough for the dogs. They jump the fence because they are bored and they go searching for things to do. You can make anything work if you really want to but it is going to take up a lot of your time to do it right.
I used to have a roommate who was opposed to large dogs living indoors, and needless to say that roommate left me high and dry because I had a husky and a lab mix who spent most of the time inside! If you have your heart set on a labrador, you might want to wait until you are in a situation where everyone can be happy- you, the pooch, and the roommate.
 :)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 08:40:04 pm »
I'm really active on a Lab board and have lots of friends with Labs. I would NOT recommend a Lab as an apartment dog for a single person with a busy life.  Besides being high energy, Labs take a lot of training commitment in their first three years, a lot more than people realize.  You see service dogs and think "yeah, that's the kind of dog I want"- but you have no idea the intense amount of training it takes to get there.

I got involved with this Lab thing because my Earnest is Lab and Dane, and at 7 months old he was such a handful I thought he had some serious problems.  He was so awful I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep him, and I have 20 years experience in the animal business, including rehabbing rescues with behavioral problems.  I started asking around and when people started telling me that eating everything in sight, including a mattress, and insane hyperactivity were "typical Lab" I started doing more research and discovered they were right.

Don't get me wrong, Labs are great dogs, but they are NOT easy.
Labs also are very dependent as a general rule. They don't do well home alone all day, they tend to be destructive or develop other problems like separation anxiety.

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board (hope it's okay to post this link) this is a really great helpful group of people, you will find a wealth of information about the breed, enough to make the right decision for you and a dog.

I agree, Danes, although big, are really low energy. I've had Danes in an apartment and with two good walks a day and a lot of attention when I was home they do fine.   Thank heaven as Earnest matured he got more of the mellow Dane characteristic s!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 08:45:28 pm »
You will be fine in an apartment as long as you take your dog out often to get as much exercise as possible- especially when he is a puppy. Good luck with your roommate.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 06:32:29 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the info and insight.  I do not plan on getting a dog while i am still in school, I definitely know i do not have the time,Plus i would want to spend all my free time with dog and not books.  I just have to keep telling myself that I need to wait.  Sometimes I just miss having a dog. 

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 07:01:39 am »
My ex and I lived in a one bedroom apartment with the two guys pictured below.  Rocco was about 100 lbs then, Reese was about75 lbs.  We did fine.  Daily walks and crowding were to be expected.  We made sure there was enough room for two big cages. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline LabLover4

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 04:06:35 am »
I have seen Labs that do well in apartments. These Labs however have somewhere they are taken for a run or two every day.  Brenda

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:25:55 am »
I don't think it's a problem at all, as long as you're commited and manage it well! I live in a small home without a fenced in yard... with a Siberian Husky, a breed that loves to run! Although he is very calm, he does have his spurts of energy. I manage it well, I take him for about 4 or 5 walks a day, and I take him to the dog park, where I would like him to run, but he mainly just follows me around, not a typical Siberian, who normally want to run all over the place and escape. But yeah like I said, it's definetly not a problem if you can manage it well!
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline Troubles

• Gnawer
  • Troubles the Water Otter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 10:33:42 pm »
Just ran across this topic. 

I was in an 1 bedroom apt when I got my child, Troubles.  We did really well - except for the fact that we were on teh 2nd floor and until he got his housebreaking down, he HAD to potty at 9:00pm, 3:00am, and again when I got up at 6:00am!!!!!

With him being a high energy breed, the only thing I made sure we did every day is go for a long walk or run or just let him be a silly dog!!

Good luck but I bet you'll do fine!
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry