Poll

How often do you brush your dog's teeth?

Daily
0 (0%)
A few times a week
0 (0%)
Once a week
2 (25%)
Once a month
5 (62.5%)
Only when I go to the vet
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Teeth Brushing  (Read 6080 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Teeth Brushing
« on: August 28, 2005, 10:05:44 pm »
I have such a hard time remembering to brush Bear's teeth and was wondering how often the general population of BPO brushes their dog's teeth?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Teeth Brushing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 11:12:26 pm »
Uuummmmmm, not so far...Is that an answer to the poll? :D

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 05:52:18 am »
Idon't brush their teeth...chewin g on raw meaty bones keeps them very clean and white...before I started to feed raw the poms wold never let me..I would get a finger ripped off.  So they got their teeth brushed in the vets office and when they got groomed

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:24:32 am »
I have such a hard time remembering to brush Bear's teeth and was wondering how often the general population of BPO brushes their dog's teeth?

I am always forgetting too. Glad I am not the only one :D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 07:33:36 am »
I haven't yet either. oops

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 01:06:33 pm »
Tulsa chews on pig ears, sticks, and a few select A##holes. So her teeth are pretty clean. Although I've had to take her to the dentist a couple of times to have some dumb SOB's bony butt extracted for reconstructive surgery. Fortunately they were on medicare. Didn't cost me a thing, and they usually went to jail for 3 to 5 years. I try to vary her diet, don't want her to get used to something that may come back to haunt me.
Pig ears work for Tulsa, but only one a day, she refuses the rawhide bones, hard to digest and they're not that good for our dogs. Too many weird chemicals in the proccessing, no matter where they come from.
So Pig Ears and Drug Dealers is all I let Tulsa have for chewies.
She's doing great, pretty, BIG, White Teeth, and the neighborhood is a lot nicer to walk around in!
Love you all
John & Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 01:45:17 pm »
My guys and gals don't get their teeth brushed.  They get lots of bones and that keeps their teeth pretty sparkly.  If I notice that they are getting some tartar I just get a plaque scraper thing and take off the excess myself.  Luckily, I've only had to do that a couple times though since the bones work really well.  :D
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 11:59:57 pm »
Dozer gets his brushed about once a month when he asks for it. LOL  I have chicken flavored toothpaste and his toothbrush in the toothbrush holder in the bathroom next to mine. Sometimes when I'm brushing my teeth Dozer will come and stand up on the sink, then he gets his brushed. He loves the chicken toothpaste. He just stands up there like a human ::)
I really need to get a picture of that.
His teeth stay clean from chewing on bones.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 12:17:38 am »
My two chew on nyla bones and those rollover bones all the time, so their teeth are pretty white. And Dilbert got his teeth cleaned at the vets when he got the big snip, so his are really white.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 02:33:09 am »
excellent timing.. i was JUST thinking about posting cuz... nikki's breath is beginning to STANK.. and we jus got back from a $250 teef cleaning for cody (who, at 4, has essentially lost his entire right lower canine due to wear, and is apparently headed towards heavy teeth loss in the future)...

cody hates nyla bones... (and god forbid if he keeps dropping it onto the hardware floors, my neighbor might lynch me)... and nikki HATES her jaws being handled... but i think i'm gonna start brushing 'em both once a week... :sigh:

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 02:35:52 am »
I tried to brush Rocco's teeth once when he was a puppy and he kept licking my face.  So no teeth brushing except my own goes on at my place.  Just lots of hard bones and rawhides.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 03:38:05 am »
We rarely brush zoey's teeth. She hates toobrushing, and she has a billion dental chews and dental cookies that keep her teeth in good shape.
RIP former BPO

Dobe SDs

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 10:29:46 pm »
Toothbrushing response and a slobber dog question:
I don't brush my dogs teeth either, but I do use the doggy dental product (there are many on the market.) At first I was putting it in their water, but wasn't sure who was getting how much, etc.  I then went to putting it in a spray bottle and giving each dog a squirt in the mouth each evening after they've finished eating for the day.  For awhile I was saturating a guaze 2X2 and wrapping it on my finger and using it like a tooth brush / gum massager.
But... I have a question:  My big blue Dobe drools (like the dog on Turner and Hootch) and I wipe his mouth several times a day.  At night I wash his face really well.  But because he holds so much of the saliva in his jowels, the saliva REALLY STINKS!  I wish I could teach him to rinse and spit, but does anyone have any tricks they use on their slobber dogs?  (He just got neutered 2 weeks ago and the vet said his teeth were really clean and his mouth was in good shape.)
Thanks so much