Author Topic: Old Rotti//what is the oldest one you know?  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Jennygirl

• Gnawer
  • Benny (from heavan) 4 months
    • View Profile
Old Rotti//what is the oldest one you know?
« on: April 14, 2005, 09:21:15 am »
This is Teesha .She is my OLD SOUL. I stole her form a backyard when she was 4.5 yrs old. She was abused for no reason so I made her mine!.She has had a few health troubles including cancer in which we amputated her toe...
She had an accidental litter with a neo mastiff and i kep a pup which i just lost along with the other brother to bone cancer.
She is outliving her kides which amazes me.
She will celebrate her 15 th b day htis year and although he face is now white she is as pure rotti as the day is long.
I am curious if anyone has seen old rottis above this age? I know they dont live super long but i was curious.
She is still great and is very puppy like . I know she cannot live much longer (can she?) i love her gentle soul and i cannot imagine her with me....
JEnny
jenny/Benny/Teesha
and my forever dog Bruno!

Offline RottiMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Old Rotti//what is the oldest one you know?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 10:49:34 am »
Teesha looks great! She is the oldest Rotti that I know of.  I asked my vet how old was the oldest Rotti he "knew" and after thinking about it he said 13.

We seem to have a lot in common. 

My female Rotti turned 12 on April 9th.  She had to have a toe amputated two years ago and we were told that it was an agressive cancer.  She is still with us so every day is a gift. 

She has thyroid problems and has been on meds for the last 10 years so   we did not breed her as planned.  She made her own arrangments with the black Lab up the street.  We found good homes for her pups, and kept two females who are now seven and a half years old.  They are great dogs.  One of her other pups passed away last month from cancer so she has outlived one of her pups so far.   

I can't tell you how many times I have felt like taking dogs from abusive homes. I feel that a dog who is stuck in a back yard for its whole life, is not trained, and is not part of the family is abused.  Good for you! 

We got a male Rotti in November who is 7 months old and is getting along with everyone.  Good luck, and let me know if you find a Rotti older than yours.

~D~

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 07:32:28 pm »
Greta is now nearly 8-years old and she made it to this age with a heart murmur.  She takes 20mg propranolol twice daily (since she was a puppy.)  She has arthritis and I can tell she is aging - though she has always been somewhat arthritic due to ligament tears and the pin in her hip. 

My other dog, Lou, who is rott/lab is also nearly 8-years old and, other than slowing down just a bit - as in not wanting to continue playing ball for an hour - he is as healthy as can be and always has been.  Only once did he have a health issue and that was a minute case of something like mange that came with him as a puppy.  It quickly cleared up after using antiobiotic ointment prescribed by his veterinarian.

I did meet someone once (a breeder) who had a male rottweiler she claimed to be 15-years old.  I think it is possible, but 12-years old may even be unusual.  I hate to think about that!  :'(
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:36:36 pm »
I must add that your girl looks so sweet.  It is amazing how much grey our old dogs acquire over the years.  She must really love you - that is what I believe.  I have known a lot of dogs (and cats) who have lived extremely long lives, such as a golden retriever/cocker spaniel mix who lived for nearly 18 years.  I've known a 21-year old poodle.  The animals that seem to live the longest are those who have a close relationship with their people.  They are happy and not usually overfed.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:15:30 pm »
Wow- 15! Teesha looks amazing for her age. It must be comforting to know that you've had an entire decade of love and laughter with her by side.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

ilovemyaussies

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 09:48:34 pm »
To be honest I don't know any Rotts over the age of 7.  :(  I have seen many Rotti mixes live to be in the double digits...but not purebreds.  Congrats on Teesha turning 15. She looks great.  Wishing you both many more wonderful years together. 

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 05:48:00 am »
wow ;D 15!!! You go girl. She looks great. That is the oldest I have heard before tht was 10 years.
I lost rots at the following 6 months(hip dysplasia- could not repair), 8 years( osteosarcoma) and 9 yearsM Cell Tumor).
 My dad was talking to the vet the other day and said he has noticed more and more rottis passing away earlier and earlier. He said 6-7 years is the trend he is seeing right now. He said it is due to all the inbreeding that has occured b/c of the popularity boom in the breed .
Makes me sad to hear this :'(

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 06:32:02 am »
I was told that the life span is between 10 and 15 years, but from things I have read that is rare.
Tell em Teesha! Age ain'y nuttin but a number... ;D
With love and support, I suppose they can amaze the best of them.
She is looking good.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 06:34:44 am »
10 years old is an old dog for almost all Rottweilers.

Most you will see slowing down by age 8.

I know of 2 dogs personally who have lived beyond the age of 15.

I know of MANY MANY dogs that have made it to 12+.

I consider every day after the age of 10 a gift.

There is nothing quite so sweet and wonderful as a wise old dog who has seen the world and is slowing down. They get such a dignity and wisdom about them as they age. I just LOVE the oldies. :D

Your girl is QUITE lovely, and I wish you many more joy filled days with her.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 06:37:26 am by RedyreRottweilers »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Jennygirl

• Gnawer
  • Benny (from heavan) 4 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 06:54:32 am »
Funny you mentioned having your Rotts toe removed... Teesha had her back toe removed to due to cancer. As i mentioned she had 3 pups (neo rotti) (accidental)
All three are now gone due to bone cancer.They died within 6 months of each other. I have never had to release an animal before let alone 3 in such a short time :(
After the second one passed in June.Teesha had a pee problem. I brought her in for tests and they found a huge mass on her spleen. I was devastated.
We figured it was Hamangiosarcom a. Although she is very old i decided to have her spleen removed. Ill post a pic of that one before surgery (can see her hsaed from ultrasound) and one after  with her pink shirt to protect the stitches.Both are the same pose. She looked no different.
To my GLEE it was not cancer it was a hematoma..Phew ....
Her 15th day is July 14 and we will party hard.
She also had cruciate surgery about 5 yrs ago and walks perfect. I quit my job at that time to ensure she rested and it healed perfectly...
A few weeks ago she peed again which is not like her. We figure after tests turned up no infection that it is just her age. I let her out more and that helps alot. That goodness i dont have carpets. It has not happened for over 1 week now so i am hoping its over. I also give her 1000mg of salmon oil caps a day per 10 pounds of weight.This helps Kidneys a great deal.If anyone is interedd i can send the website mentioning this.
She is sure spunky and playful...Gott a love my old SOUL!

JEnny/BEnny and Teesha.
jenny/Benny/Teesha
and my forever dog Bruno!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 07:03:53 am »
What sweet pictures of your girl.

She is just adorable, HAPPY 15TH TEESHA!!!

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.