Author Topic: Bones  (Read 4156 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Bones
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:10:22 pm »
Now I have heard that chicken bones are not good for dogs, but plenty of people feed raw chicken with bones in and have had great success.  I have also heard that when cooked, the bones get brittle and can get caught in their throats.  Is that true?  Do any of you know anybody or if even their own dogs  have gotten chicken bones caught in their throats? I haven't.  I have been cheating the rule for years and have never had a problem.  Wonder if I have been doing wrong?  Sometimes it is hard to admit what a terrible mommy you are.  :-[

Peggy
Peggy

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Bones
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 06:46:21 pm »
Peggy - raw bones are good...just make sure they are meaty... cooked bones are the problem.  I always feed my dogs raww mwaty bones and make sure they are eating them supervised...  I ahven't had a problem and I don't know anyone yet who has had a problem
Timmie

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:50:36 pm »

Raw bones are fine for most dogs.

My dogs eat raw chicken with the bones frequently. I have fed raw chicken with the bones to a wide variety of ages of Rottweilers, and never had a single issue.

Cooked bones become brittle and are more likely to SPLINTER. These splintered bones are razor sharp and can perforate any part of the intestinal tract from the esophagus on down. Particularly dangerous are small intestinal perforations that are not easily found. Dogs can die of peritonitis fast.

Don't feed cooked bones.

Raw bones are good, however, I do avoid larger poultry bones like turkey. I will only use turkey bones if they are ground, altho necks are okay for most dogs.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:13:16 pm »
Yes, I never feed bones unless I am around to keep an eye on things.  What I would like to hear is from somebody who has actually seen any dogs damaged from eating cooked chicken bones.  I am sure  a large leg of lamb bone that is cooked is ok. hmmmm
Peggy

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:23:49 am »
I have heard stories on some of the raw feeding boards of dogs injured with cooked bones....chick en mostly.  I wouldn't give any cooked bones at all...cooking them changes the structure and allows them to splinter which can cause lots of problems....  Uncooked - raw meaty bones only!!  I do give long bones (uncooked of course) that are not meaty just to occupy the dogs...but for meals I make sure the bones I am feeding are meaty

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 10:15:46 am »
Yes, I never feed bones unless I am around to keep an eye on things.  What I would like to hear is from somebody who has actually seen any dogs damaged from eating cooked chicken bones.  I am sure  a large leg of lamb bone that is cooked is ok. hmmmm

With Cowboy, I've spent lots of time in our local Vet. Emer. Room. and the stories of lacerated stomachs, esphogus', intestines are awful from cooked bones.  The director also has some pretty awful stories about raw chicken bones and small dogs.  She has advised me to not give Cowboy anything more to deal with, but I do give him huge marrow bones almost everyday.  Chester gets the left over bone once Cowboy has given it a good going-over.  I don't want Chester to have that much fat....for Cowboy, there is some thought that a higher percentage of fat helps with seizures.   I don't know.....

will

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 10:47:01 am »
i'd like to add that common chickens aren't kept in the best conditions making their bones unhealthy and weak.  i wouldn't feel comfortable feeding even raw chicken bones - unless maybe they were from free-range chickens.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:02:36 pm »
What about grinding the chicken with the bones for cowboy.  Chicken necks and backs has a higher fat percentage and when ground you don't have to worry about bones.  I buy about 40lbs of raw necks/backs and wings from the butcher for 20.00 and I grind quite a bit of it.. the rest I give them whole helps keep their teeth clean.

for the mojos I give small drummettes/wingettes/necks/backs  they are small and easy for the little dogs to handle.