Author Topic: Pyrenean Mastiff  (Read 14466 times)

Offline britt_cllns

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Pyrenean Mastiff
« on: April 16, 2005, 11:42:53 am »
Does anyone own a Pyrenean Mastiff?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrenean Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 01:32:57 am »
Do you own a pyrenean Mastiff?? I dont know much about them at all, do you have any pictures you could post. I'd love to see what they look like.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Jen

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:01:33 am »
Yes I would love to see one too!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 09:44:43 am »
I've heard that is another name for a Great Pyr. but not sure.  I saw a Maremma ?sp? herding dog on the Cruft's dog show that looked like a small pyr. and he was beautiful! Are pyrenean listed as a separtate breed by AKC? 

Jen

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:28:24 am »
If it is just another name for Great Pyr, than what makes a Mastiff a Mastiff?

Rufiesmom

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 01:58:44 pm »
I went to www.akc.org and the UK site www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/crufts and plugged in all the names.  The Great Pyrenees is recognized by the akc. and the Pyrenean Mountain dog is recognized by the UK clubs.  No Pyrenean Mastiff on either site. 

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 02:21:30 pm »
The AKC usually does not recognize rare breeds.  It is a long process for the breed to be recognized and some rare breed breeders do not want their dogs to become recognized for fear of becoming too popular and then being breed by BYB.

Here is a nice site that describes Pyrenean Mastiff. It has good pictures and the breed standard.

http://www.molosserdogs.com/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=content&tid=738
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Rufiesmom

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 04:03:04 pm »
Rachel that is a great site!!  Love the pictures!  I haven't seen them before so thanks for sharing!

Jen

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 09:21:35 am »
Is it my imagionation or does this look like a cross between a Saint and a Pyr ???

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 01:07:01 pm »
The Great Pyrenees & the Pyrenean Mountain Dog are the same thing just known by different names in different parts of the world I believe...Corr ect me if I'm wrong...The Maremma Sheepdog is a cross between the Great Pyrenees, Kuvasc (sp.?) &2 other dogs I can't think of right now...They are not A.K.C. recognized.... They are recognized in the U.K. however.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 01:22:42 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline kodibear

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 09:43:52 pm »
The Pyrenean Mastiff is a separate breed from Great Pyrenees.  The breed originated several hundred years ago; they were bred to protect sheep from bear and wolves.  They are very calm dogs.  The club website describes them as "3. Behavior and character: Meek, docile and extremely intelligent. It is very brave and fierce with strangers. It shows extremely benevolence with other dogs knowing of its strength. Should the time arise it is skilled at fight, remembering its acquired behavior in the fight with wolves. It has a deep and intense bark"  They also live longer than most giant breeds, their life expectancy is 12-14 years.

You can see pictures and read about them at http://www.pyreneanmastiff.org/OriginPM.html

They are absolutely gorgeous dogs, but very rare (that figures, I'd love to meet one).

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 11:51:08 pm »
Yes, the Pyrenean Mastiff is a seperate breed...But the Great Pyrenees & the Pyrenean Mountain Dog are one in the same.