Author Topic: My puppy Finn  (Read 10811 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
My puppy Finn
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:25:27 am »
My husband and I are now the proud parents of an Irish Wolfhound! He's 6 months old and about 65lbs. There don't seem to be many IW parents here.... though they are not a super common breed. I love them, and when we're done building our house we're going to adopt another. Big goofy sweetheart!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: My puppy Finn
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:32:39 am »
Oh, here's my Finn!
He's very shy with new people. I don't think the breeder socialized him well at all, so we take him with us a lot to different places. He does fine but he gets scared if people try to pat him.  He has taken to me so much that he follows me around the house and if I put him outside in the yard he will sit right in front of the door and cry. He will run around and play if I go outside too, but not even our other two dogs can get him to play if me or my husband isn't out there. So I'm not sure what to do. My other dogs I got from the shelter as adults (1 1/2)  Finn is my first puppy. I don't know if this is normal puppy behavior and he will grow out of it? I want him to be attached to us, but I'd like him to be more independant too. I leave him out without me anyway, and I will go let him in when he quiets down (so he doesn't get rewarded for being dramatic) but like with human children, you never know if you're doing the right thing!

Offline Wolfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:46:25 am »
You are not alone out there. I adopted 2 IW's 2 months ago. They are brother and sister. Gus and Bonnie Blu are 5 1/2 months old. Gus weighs 62lbs and Bonnie Blu is 55lbs. I recently purchased a bigger house just so they would have more room. I can't begin to tell you how much fun i have just watching them play and run. Wolfhounds will always be a big part of my life. LIFE IS GOOD...
Here is a picture of my babies at 4 months old.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:33:39 am »
What beautiful babies! Because they are so tall do they go through a goofy, clutzy phase with their legs as they grow?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Wolfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:51:35 am »
Goofy and clutzy doesn't even begin to describe them. Sometimes I can't stop laughing at them. Example: they are running at full speed through the yard, ears flapping, heads up and the next thing you know front feet stop working and they are skidding along on their chins. I give them alot of credit though, they get right back up and do it all over again.
My friend just adopted 2 rescued newfie pups. Your newf is gorgeous. I am sending her the picture.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 11:59:07 pm »
What beautiful IW babies! I love their coloring. I think I will look for a dark one next time. I have only seen the lighter colors, wheaten like Finn or white. Very pretty.  He has the silver coloring on his face which used to be considered a breed defect (shhhh) but is now an interesting veriation and perfectly acceptable. I think it makes him look dignified and handsome!  Finn looks much more akward than your babies! His feet are WAY too big for his legs and body and his head seems a bit too big as well. He is clumsy ofcourse, gallops and trips and falls, seems to not really know how his body works yet. Man it's cute though! The prancing and jumping while playing with a ball outside is priceless. I understand that most grow out of this clumsy phase, though some don't. He's my first puppy so I can't be sure, but I just can't picture him not being clumsy! Today he knocked my coffee off of the table AGAIN just walking by, didn't give himself butt clearance! Then I got the "Huh?" look
Goof balls! Gotta love 'em

Offline Serena

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 08:17:51 am »
 ;D Irish Wolfhounds are Amazing! Baron is the biggest baby with us and naturally protective of his family. He likes cats and most other dogs. He is not interested in meeting new people. It is interesting to see who passes his smell test. lol
Good to meet other IW parents. Sincerely, Serena