Author Topic: Elevated feeders and bloat  (Read 4611 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Elevated feeders and bloat
« on: April 18, 2005, 04:21:28 pm »
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/nondietary_risk_factors_gdv.doc

I wondered how many of you were aware of the Purdue study, and the link they found that suggests that an elevated feeder actually increases the chances of bloat.
How many of you still use one? How many don't?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Elevated feeders and bloat
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 08:13:40 pm »
Hmm...I haven't heard that before but since we don't use an elevated feeder I guess we're fine. :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Pyrinround

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:29:45 pm »
Yes, I have heard of this study, although I have not actually read it myself.  We had quite a "chat" about it some time ago on the Pyr group I am on.  
I do still use one, but since my boy is missing a front leg, I feel it is much easier for him to eat and drink with his elevated bowls, than to have to lean way down to the ground with only one leg, although he can do it.  Bloat and gastric torsion are not quite as common in Pyrs as it can be in some of the other breeds, although it is always a concern, and something that I do think about.  I am cautious to make sure he stays fairly quiet after he eats/drinks, and so far, so good.  In 30 yrs. with Pyrs, I've never had a problem....... ...but that's not to say I haven't seen it with other Pyrs.

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 08:44:06 pm »
After reading your post and the study I went on line for almost 2 hrs. There seems to be quite allot of controversy going on concerning the accuracy of the report.
I have two Saints that both eat from raised feeders and have never (knock on wood) had a problem. They do have water bowls on the ground. It seems some people feel that ground feeding may slow down the eating process thus avoiding bloat, others feel bloat is directly related to stress. LOL, can't say either of my dogs have ever suffered any form of stress. My vet suggested the raised feeding bowls but I think I'll take it up with him again next visit. Thanks for the info. connolly
The older I get the less I know

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 09:49:59 pm »
We started out with  elevated bowls for Finn, as suggested by the breeder. She said it's better for his posture and  because of the way IW's grow he shouldn't spend too much time hunched over or bearing weight on his hind legs. But he didn't like his bowls up like that. He ate a lot less, but for his size he was eating far too little (according to our vet) He eats 2 good meals a day plus he snacks...he'll grab a couple of pieces of food, bring them to the couch and eat them one at a time. So his dishes are on the floor now. Maybe when he's bigger we'll put them up a bit.  I had always heard of bloat associated with over feeding and exercise too soon after eating, but I'll look up the study.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 11:39:46 am »
Never ever used elevated, I did consider it but was told NO by our breeder. When Apache was a pup, he used to lay down while eating, which I was told is ok. Bloat scares the heck out of me. I try to be so careful about exercise before/after eating. I moisten kibble. Theres a good site "Dr.P's Dog training & behavior" I found a article about bloat that was very good.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 03:14:54 am »
I have been reading for awhile about the  food dish controversy. This is a detailed article I found on the study..
http://www.dogstuff.info/beating_bloat_pflaumer.html
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.