Author Topic: Is it safe?  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Is it safe?
« on: September 15, 2005, 08:09:40 pm »
hello all I had a crazy idea the other day but I wasn't sure it if was going to be safe. I want to dye Toester purple.  :o (yeah I know I'm crazy) can you imagine a big a** purple and black Great Dane walking down the street. I looked at a few dyes but I'm still not sure, I dont want to hurt her but I want a purple dog  ;D. am I the only weird person on here? Has anyone ever done this or have ever though about it? And I was kinda thinking of doing Thor's white spots blue.

Blair

Re: Is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:22:41 pm »
Ive heard of dying poodles, Ive seen some crazy pictures in grooming book, but never Great Danes

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:47:13 pm »
There was a post awhile back about black dogs fading, and someone, Jaimie I think said she used to dye Bear, her newf back to his black. My son's girlfriend uses a paste of unsweetened koolaid to dye her beagle's tail all kinds of colors. Not sure how much you would need for a whole dog, much less a super pooch the size of a dane though. I would think that koolaid would be the safest, after all you can eat it, so it can't be too harmful for your exterior. OK. done rambling.
Stella

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 08:49:54 pm »
Groomer I used to work for would dye her poodles for grooming shows.  Kelly Osbourne dyed her bull dog but she did a crappy job
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:10:34 pm »
When we first moved to CA, the very first time I went into Petco, there was an aqua blue miniature poodle.  All I thought was, "crazy Californians".

I've heard of people using Kool-Aide before.  I'm not sure what groomers use

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:15:22 pm »
Kool-Aid sounds safe enough to me...I once highlighted my white & black cat to a pink & black cat...I was bored & my hubby thought he was having a flash back when he got home from work! ;D

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 09:41:52 pm »
You're all NUTZ!
Crazy Californians, Indeed!
Don't blame the left coast.
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!
J & T
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 09:42:43 pm »
Too funny Chelle. I may have to try that just to screw with hubby's head LOL
Stella

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 07:28:32 am »
thank you all I never though about using Kool-aid. I just might try it. I'll make sure I send you al pix of my rainbow dogs. I did use Kool-aid once when I was like 12 to dye my hair cause my mom wouldn't let me ut looked nice while I was inside but when it hit the sun it was bright red. It washed out over time and my hair was fine but I dont think I'll be doing it to mysent anytime soon.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 07:32:26 am »
I used kool-aid to dye my hair back in highschool. It lasted for like six months. Just make sure you can live with your dyed dog a long time. I do think it's safe.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 07:49:01 am »
You're serious aren't you? I'd have to check myself into the mental health clinic if I saw a purple dane :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 08:06:13 am »
When I was in high school we had a poodle mix. My friend Stuart was dying his own hair blue and green so we did the dog blue and green too. I think it was Manic Panic dye. We were very careful not to get any in his eyes. Anyhow, the dog loved it because everyone made a huge fuss over him after that and gave him lots os attention!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 08:24:26 am »
I think you can use food coloring, too. We've used the halloween colored hair sprays on our dogs before - they wash out quickly - usually.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 08:32:47 am »
Purple People Eater. 'nuff said.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 08:43:32 am »
Must be the ex alterna-goth in me that says...  GO FOR IT!!!  ;D

I've been contemplating doing Tenchi in multi color for a while.  I'm going to try and make him Super FrankenWeenie for Halloween, so we'll be using some type of non toxic body paint for that.  Koolaide is safe, just be careful around the eyes because it can sting.  Another idea that just came to me, arent' there edible body paints?  lol  That's probably safe to use also.  ;D ;D ;D

When Tori was 3yrs old, she decided that she wanted blue hair, so we went and got a bunch of Koolaide and did it.  She went to preschool like that for a week or so before it faded to just a hint of blue.  :D
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.