Author Topic: Modes of transport for dogs  (Read 10353 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Modes of transport for dogs
« on: April 20, 2005, 11:06:40 am »
As much as we want (and think we need) an SUV, with the current gas prices, I just don’t see us getting one in the near future. So currently our Bear just has the back seat when we travel. It’s not too bad as he gets a window seat! And when he gets tired, he can lay down and get pretty comfortable. We drive an Infiniti sedan so the back seat is more or less a bench seat. He fits almost perfectly layout down with about an inch to spare door to door. On long trips, he’ll usually rest his head on the center console in an effort to be with us upfront.

Yesterday, I saw a guy driving a Camaro and his German Shepherd was sitting where the passenger seat was not. He actually pulled out the seat! I found that a little interesting. He must not have many friends or that seat must be really easy to pull out.

Anybody drive their dog around in a convertible?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Modes of transport for dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:09:14 pm »
Nope -  No convertible here!! With three dogs and one on the way, we just have to have a large car, but like you said with the gas prices I wish we didnt. Have one Dodge Ram with crew cab, so when the kids don't go I can bring dogs there. But hubby kinda don't like the slobbers and hair hmmmm funny how I dont even see them in the car lol...

My car is an older Rodeo, on the small side for being an SUV but large enough to hold my dogs. It is a little difficult when you have both a few dogs and three twolegged kids.

Since we are talking about cars and dogs, sometimes when I am alone with dogs in the car, I let one of them ride up front with me, and more than once have I thought about what would happen if I had a wreck. Have any of you seen the harness/seatbelts for giant breeds???? I have only seen them for large dogs, not quite big enough for a giant. If you know where to get them, please tell me.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 09:55:24 pm »
Instead of a seatbelt harness I have Premier (the company that makes Gentle Leaders) harnesses. They have two buckles at the shoulders, so the dog doesn't have to "step in" to them, and they have adjustments on the chest straps as well as around the girth, so you can make them fit right.
Then I use a nylon "tab" ( a leash that's just a loop and a clip, Petsmart has them) I put the tab on the harness, and the seatbelt through the tab and buckle it, then cinch it down to where it's snug when the dog is sitting or lying on the seat. Works just as good as the ones marketed as seatbelt harnesses. I drive a Buick Station Wagon, Earnest rides on the back seat, Phyfe rides in the back on the jump seat.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:06:17 pm »
That seems to be a great way!! I will try that, I take it they come in XXL sizes. Being a groomer, I have to admit I have way way too many catalogs, I am sure I could look it up, but nope.... doesnt ring a bell, who you are talking about (making these). I am not sure about the rules in this group, if you can tell me who makes them or not. If you cant mention names on here, I would really appreciate if you would drop me a line on my email telling me where I can get it.

Thanks a lot

Marit

mastiff_family@yahoo.com

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 07:59:36 am »
http://www.premierpet.com/pages.cfm?id=13

The Surefit harness is the one I'm talking about.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 09:00:58 am »
 :D Thank's a lot, it looks great, I just pulled up the page, and am now going to check sizes and colors.

Marit

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 07:14:10 pm »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the link.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.