Author Topic: Question about Cosequin  (Read 2392 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Question about Cosequin
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:30:38 pm »
Zoey has been on K9 Liquid Health Glucosamine/msm/chondroitin for almost a year and I have decided to switch her to cosequin instead. The bottle arrived today and it says to give 4 pills a day for the first month and 2 pills a day for maintenance after that. Here's my question: Since she has already been on joint meds, do I have to do do the double dosage at first, or is that just for when you are new to joint meds?
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Cosequin
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:41:11 pm »
My Newfs have been on Cosequin for over a year and my assumption is that you'd start at the maintence dose (we do one in the morning and one at night).  If Zoey is limping or is in any way symptomatic, then I think you'd start at the higher dose.  It sounds like she's not having any problem now but if she does start to limp at the lower dose, then raise to the higher amount for the recommended two weeks.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 05:52:53 pm »
Yeah, I thought that I would go straight to the maintenance dose but then I was paranoid and wanted to make sure it was the responsible thing to do. As soon as the liquid meds run out I am going to go to one pill with each meal (2 meals a day)
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 06:29:14 pm »
I understand paranoia!  I swear that one of the reasons I check this site so often is because things I worry about, somebody else has already handled and shares it with us.  Of course there are new things to worry about that I've never thought of.....that's the downside :)!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 07:02:28 pm »
I would do the regular dose too. I am so happy with Consequin! Bear has been on it for 2 years and it has given us great results with his legs.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.