Author Topic: Live Stock Guardian Story  (Read 13491 times)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Live Stock Guardian Story
« on: September 22, 2005, 03:26:28 am »
For all of you that own Pyrs or other livestock guardian dogs (LGDs). You may appreicate this story.

I have an email list for people that use Pyrs as guardians.  To help educate them on what to expect, what not to expect and what to do about it etc.

A friend on the list has been in close contact with me on a pup she bought from a BYB.  No genetic testing of the parents etc.  Horrid conditions.

Well Waco is his name and Waco has grown into a good livestock guardian.  Yesterday Sherry contacted me off list to tell me that Waco was missing and had been missing since the night before.  She was worried sick and asked my opinion on what to do etc.  The story she told me indicated that he was most likely laying somewhere hurt.  Dry lot for the goats had a big trampled area in it like there had been a fight.  Her grown female and 3 pups about 3 mo old were all looking into the woods/swampy area behind their property and looked "so sad".  I told her to get some help and wade through the mess just in case he was down and hurt.  Well this is the story I got from her late yesterday evening.  I am fowarding it to you so that it may be a help in understanding your dogs temperament. (Just to explain, Sherry is an x-vet-tech).

Waco is found, not in good shape but hes home. We found him about 4pm this afternoon in our swamp. We liked to never have gotten him out of there. Had to use neighbors tractor to get him. I had to stich his face up, he was dehydrated, and as far as I can tell nothing broken. But he fought something really big, looks like claw marks ripped his face open in four deep places. He has about thirty stiches along his rib cage, he was so lucky as they are not as deep were vital oragans would have been. If it had been any further back it would have gutted him. Sorry it took so long to reply but I stiched him up, we will try and load him tomorrow to go have xrays to make sure nothing really is broken. I called the vet,
he told me to bring him in around noon for the xrays, that I could stich as good as he could. A vet tech that lives down this way brought me fluids for him, and helped for an hour or so. The main thing now is infection, as I dont know how long he laid in the nasty swamp yuck. The other dogs are on the porch refusing to leave the house, now I have more problems. But hes restings now, and I will leave him alone for awhile, he looks so beaten. Goats are locked in the barn, until we figure out what got ahold of him or have dogs that will leave the porch.  Jackie:)) Will call ya after vet visit. Thanks so much for the prayers, we needed them. Sherry

This is a shot of Waco taken the day before the incident.
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Live Stock Guardian Story
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 03:36:09 am »
Poor Waco.  :'( He took his job very seriously, didn't he. I wonder what he fought? What a brave dog, I hope he is going to be ok.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 03:37:02 am »
I hope Waco is okay. Keep us posted.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:55:45 am »
What an incredible story. I'm so proud of Waco and hope he is all better soon. Please keep us posted on his progress.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 05:12:10 am »
Ty Jackie....I've been sending prayers for Waco's physical recovery & for his peace of mind...Have you heard from Sherry how he is doing today?...I hope she gets somre more dogs out there to back Waco up in case of further incident like like this...I told Randy about Waco & tried to convince him that we needed to more Pyrs for back up in case a vicious squirrel should attack the kids or bunnies. :o..It was a no go :(...But you can't blame a girl for trying. ;D ;D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 05:30:02 am »
Hi Jackie,  Please let Sherry know that we are so proud of Waco, and that we are praying for him to get well quick.   

Gypsy, that so makes me want another pyr for my babies.  Dixie will hear something and take off after it, Sugar Bear like to stay close and guard me.  I just keep thinking that if I had three or four  ;D that they would all be safer if something came into the yard.  What do you think, will the hubby buy it?

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 05:34:40 am »
Hi Jackie,  Please let Sherry know that we are so proud of Waco, and that we are praying for him to get well quick.   

Gypsy, that so makes me want another pyr for my babies.  Dixie will hear something and take off after it, Sugar Bear like to stay close and guard me.  I just keep thinking that if I had three or four  ;D that they would all be safer if something came into the yard.  What do you think, will the hubby buy it?

Lisa

That's the idea behind Pyrs as gaurdians...2 to corner & protect it's "flock" & 2 to take on the predator...If they are working as LGD's they need backup...It's how it was intended to be I believe...Dixi e & Sugar Bear are doing exactly as they should...good dogs!! ;D...I think any reasonable hubby would allow a couple more Pyrs...Mine won't though...He is SO unreasonable!! :D

BabsT

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 07:45:55 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with WACO...

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 09:51:23 am »
Hi,  Just wanted you all to know that I called Sherry a bit ago.  As suspected, she had not called because she has had such a hard day today and just forgot.

Waco is ok.  No boken bones.  She started him on Penicillin when she sowed him up.  He is eating and drinking well.  Peeing and pooping ok.  Escaped from the porch today...lol

She said the lacerations on his face are about 4.5 - 5 inches long and about an inch apart.  Very deep.  All had to be stitched up.  The abdominal laceration was very close to being an eviseration!  So all in all he's a dang lucky dog.

She said to tell you all she thanks you for your prayers and good thoughts and she will be back online when she catches her breath.  She will fill us all in then, or should I say I will, since she is not a member.  I think that is about to change however.

Night all,
Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 10:15:27 am »
Thanks for the Waco update Jackie...I really appreciate it very much!...I hope he heals up good as new soon!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 10:20:30 am »
It would be great if Sherry and her crew would join us.   ;D 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:19:16 pm by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 10:26:44 am »
Well I would like to have all or most of the pyr folks from pyr talk on this board. It would be great to have a more people with working dogs here, give us more balance. In the meantime I will enjoy Sherry's posts on pyrtalk.

Deena

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 11:48:41 am »
I don't have a pyr, but from you all I have learned that they are awesome animals. I have nothing but admiration for the breed and all of you that can handle their very unique characters and strong personalities. I would love to have one but don't think they would fare well in the boring city.
Does anyone know or have an idea what the brave boy tangled with? I assume he won, since the goats were all accounted for..
Stella

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 11:54:14 am »
I don't have a pyr, but from you all I have learned that they are awesome animals. I have nothing but admiration for the breed and all of you that can handle their very unique characters and strong personalities. I would love to have one but don't think they would fare well in the boring city.
Does anyone know or have an idea what the brave boy tangled with? I assume he won, since the goats were all accounted for..
Stella
I believe they decided it was a bobcat or a bear though I guess it's not really bear country.

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 11:56:05 am »
His courage just blows my mind.
Stella