Author Topic: Pain control?  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Pain control?
« on: September 22, 2005, 08:01:42 am »
Is there anything I can give Tonka to help ease the discomfort/swelling in his leg from the IVs??  He can barely walk and he cries when he moves it  :'(.  I have given dogs benadryl in the past for snake bites and such but this is a different hurt and I am not sure what to give him or if I should just let it pass.
I am kind of a big deal!

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Pain control?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 08:04:51 am »
How much does tonka weigh?...I've given baby asprin in the past...Just make sure it's children's asprin not adults &that it's asprin not anything else!...When pippin weighed about 60 lbs. I could give him one.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 08:09:08 am »
He is 11 wks and only about 32 lbs  ??? so do you think it is okay to give him baby aspirin or is he too young/small??
I am kind of a big deal!

angelsmama

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:11:57 am »
I'd call the vet and ask, he seems a little young being only 11 weeks.  :( I hate knowing about babies hurting, it hurts me seeing my 11 year old dog in the mornings with her hips hurting. Once she has her aspirin she's ok for the day  :)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 08:14:51 am »
Stacey.  I don't know if it applies in this situation, but in cases with injuries ves often make it a practice NOT to give dogs pain killers.  Dogs aren't like us.  They don't understand "Stay off you feet so you'll get better and this will mke you feel better in the mean time"  Dogs are like "Wow I feel GREAT!" and run around undoing all the work done. 

I do know that Moni gives Tenchi an Asprin before he plays because of his knee problems, but I don't know if this is the same thing.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 08:18:51 am »
Ang,
Good point...I hadn't thought of tha ::)t!!  So far he is staying completely off of it and just resting on the couch.  But he crys when he moves cuz it hurts and I just feel soooo bad for my poor little boy! :'(  I think you are right though, I really don't want him to try to walk until it heals.  I know that aspirin is given to older dogs for chronic disorders but I think I should just let this one run its course and tell him when it is okay to walk!  I am glad you made that point....poor poor tonka!
I am kind of a big deal!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 08:26:32 am »
At 11 weeks & 32 lbs. I am not sure about the asprin...I would ask the vet in that case....I agree the poor baby! :(

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 08:42:12 am »
Will he let you put a cold pack on his leg?  My that's what the vet told my mom to do for Max when he had an injured tendon that was hurting him. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 08:56:48 am »
Yes, I think thats right!  I tried the ice pack thing....Tonka is not a fan!!  I am going to try to put it on in intervals to see if it helps relieve the swelling.  My poor baby is just sooo pathetic, he won't get of the couch  :'(.  Look at my poor sick boy  :-[

I am kind of a big deal!

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 09:10:35 am »
The rule of thumb for asprin is

aspirin 5 mg per lb every 12 hrs (1 325mg tablet per 65lb dog per 12 hrs)

and for Benedryl

Benadryl 1-2mg per lb, every 8 hrs (65lb dog, 2-4 25mg tablets every 8 hrs)

NEVER EVER give Tylenol (toxic to liver) or ibuprofen (Nuprin, Motrin, Advil, etc.). Ibuprofen is very toxic and fatal to dogs at low doses. Only aspirin is safe for dogs, and buffered aspirin or ascriptin is preferred to minimize stomach upset.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 09:16:32 am »
I would think that continuing with the ice pack is a good idea....put it in a sock so it's not too cold and then gentle...reall y really gentle massage to try to move some the liquid.  One of my Newfs had a bad experience with an IV ( the stupid vet missed the vein and nobody was watching her!!!) and that's what  the Emergencey vet did that I took her too.  It's not a bad thing that she's not walking on it...and the liquid will absorb.  She does look SOOO sad though.  Maybe a special bone to chew on to keep her mind of it???

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 10:30:48 am »
I am glad that he is getting better, but the poor guy looks so sad  :-\

I would try to ice pack in a sock, and give lots of attention and petting to cheer him up. Also, I would make sure to give him something really nice to chew on - that might help him cheer up without having to move around.
RIP former BPO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 10:34:59 am »
Poor baby, give him a hug and kiss from us.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 10:50:50 am »
Hi,

In animals it's best NOT to give something for the pain if you want them to remain inactive. In other words, as Ang said, animals can not be told to stay off your feet for a few hours or couple of days and understand that need to remain inactive to reduce the swelling. Use pain killiers ONLY when you need them to be active, such as need to move those joints (arthritis, etc.) I know it's difficult, but within 48 hrs the swelling will be gone and he'll be bouncing around as normal. The IV produces 2 effects, localized swelling from the amount of fluid in the tissues in the appendage and some vessel dialation where the IV was inserted, these are producing the pain/discomfort and will subside soon. Just allow his natural response to keep him quiet.

Deena

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 11:04:57 am »
I love BPO!!   Everyone is sooo encouraging and helpful!  I just noticed a "knotty" feeling around his shoulder....ma ybe a hematoma from injected meds??  I don't know why they would inject in him skin if he had an IV, unless it was not intravaneous meds....I don't know I am just brainstorming.  I probably just answered my own question....in tramuscular meds and not IV meds  ::)!
I am kind of a big deal!