Author Topic: Has anyone had this happen?  (Read 11488 times)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Has anyone had this happen?
« on: September 22, 2005, 06:38:00 pm »
Sorry I have not been on here lately. We got an 8 week old malamute puppy last friday for Tonka. Well everything seemed to be going well until yesterday. Tonka declined her food both times and would only eat small portions out of our hands. This morning the same thing. They are playing, but it does not seem like they are playing as hard as they were and now Tonka is bringing toys to us to play with her where she was just playing with the puppy a few days ago. The vet said they believe Tonka is stressed out and her breeder agrees that maybe Tonka was just not cut out for a companion at this time and that maybe she needed to be a little older.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone had this happen?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:22:38 pm »
We have been doing the one on one time with both of them. I finally got Tonka to get this morning.  I had to put some treats in with her food. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:36:12 pm »
Samson was bummed for quite awhile after we brought Pippin home...His food interest fell off too for some time...I was pretty concerned that maybe we made a bad choice by getting Sam his won puppy...didn't matter though because Pippin was here to stay...Now they are fine & Samson is actually eating better than ever...Make sure to pet Tonka first...feed Tonka first & make sure to feed them seperately in light of the lack of interest in food Tonka is showing...& special one on one time is a must...Samson still gets to go to the store with me alone at least once or twice a week because this was his gig before Pippin came...That kind of thing is important I think..to keep Tonka's origional schedule & special things as much as possible...Whe n Pippin was gone all day Monday to be neutered Sam was bummed again but this time because Pippin was gone not because he was here...I'd say it took Sam over a month to get adjusted....Go od luck~!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 11:09:46 pm »
The mojos were absolutely PO'ed about Willow oming home.  Irie wouldn't look at her at all.  It was like - "If I don't look at her then she doesn't exist"  Gunner would growl and snarl if she got within 2 feet of him.  It is better.  I think they are just intimidated by her size...

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 12:46:52 am »
My parents went out and adopted a 9 week old sheltie (Joey) and Brat wasn't so sure about her Uncle Joey at first because Brat always got grandpa's attention so when her Uncle Joey showed up she was like "My arse if you get my grandpa" but about after a couple weeks Brat & her Uncle Joey were un eperatable and still are....All dogs go thru this but once they know you love them both the same they snap out of it.....

Here's a pic of Brat & her Uncle Joey

DFTHYFBT&E
                                                              Love & Licks
                                                                   Legends & Brat

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:18:57 am »
Sounds to me like Tonka has you wrapped around his paw! He's got that pouty-child act down perfectly! I'm with everyone else, "this too shall pass."
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 01:27:05 am »

You have to look at this from your dog's point of view.

In the wild, strange canids are NOT welcomed into other family/pack groups often.

Usually they are accosted and either driven away, or attacked and killed.

Our domestic dogs have had some of this territorial instinct bred out of them, but still, when a new dog comes into your household, most dogs view it as a usurper and a direct threat to their pack status.

It upsets everything, and the newcomer has to be integrated and find his or her place in the pack.

With a puppy, that is going to be on the bottom, esp if the other residents are older dogs.

Too many make the mistake of interfering in the social dance that involves determining rank, and in the older pack members disciplining a brat puppy.

It is common for the higher ranking pack members to stare, be possessive over food and toys, and to show the newbie bodily where she fits in.

You may see ranking pack members turn the puppy upside down, and stand over her and growl, You may even see behavior that really looks and sounds like the older dog is killing the puppy. Usually during these loud corrections, the puppy will be on her back, with the head turned toward the side, presenting her vulnerable areas to her superior.

This is NORMAL dog behavior. I do not interfere unless there is blood. Ranking pack members will routinely discipline puppies in this way. If you interfere, you may get an even stronger response the next time, and you can actually push things into an injury fight when it might not have happened by not letting the behavior and incident run it's natural course.

Being off food is, IMO, likely not related to the arrival of the puppy, and I would have this dog vet checked.

Remember, if you tempt dogs with treats and special food if/when they decide not to eat, you can create an eating disorder that can be very hard to fix. If a dog does not wish to eat, there is a reason.

If there is not medical issue, finicky eaters get LESS food LESS often, not more.

Smart dogs learn to eat when food is presented, because if it's not cleaned up fast, it does not hang around in this house.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 01:53:10 am »
Reading this thread reminded me of when we brought our female Newf puppy home to be Otis' baby sister.  Otis was a year at the time and Lucille was MORE than a handful.  I was cooking in the kitchen and I heard a very strange sound just around the counter.  I looked over and there is Otis...at his full length lying down and his mouth was WIDE open and Lucille had her head completely INSIDE Otis' mouth and was barking like mad!  It was HYSTERICAL!  It was one way to muffle her noise!!!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 07:23:09 am »
Thanks everyone, well come to find out both of my girls have a tummy virus. Today my sister had to take the baby to the vet because she was vomiting and had the squirts and was shaking. Tonka went through that yesterday, but we though it was a tempertantrum or stress so I said I would see how she was today, and she was fine except for loose stools. Well the vet kept Nala for a couple of hours and told me to bring Tonka with me to pick her up. He put them in a room without me and watched them with a camera and said that they were fine and that obviously Tonka is already getting attached. By the way today when my sister came back without Nala tonka looked around and growled at her and would not go near her for a little while then moped around. I will post some pics as soon as I shrink them.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 07:24:04 pm »
Update....the girls are getting along perfectly, they play and play all day except when we are at work and they are not in the same area.  The puppy is walking on a leash when Tonka goes with her, but we can't go very far at this time. Tonka is acting like a mother at times when Nala does something she is not suppose to.

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 08:10:08 pm »
Glad everything is working well for you and your girls. Tonka, by the way, is strikingly marked and beautiful.
Stella

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 08:19:44 pm »
It is such a great day when you can see that they really do love each other.  Dixie hates it is she does not know where her brother Sugar Bear is at.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 09:00:54 am »
When my Malamute Zoey was 7 months old, we decided she needed a playmate. When we got our 5 month old Saint Bernard to bring home, Zoey was quite a bit bigger than her, so we worried that she'd bully her. She did! And our Saint was rather docile, so we worried she'd annoy her. She does! But after 6 months of being together now, they are inseparable. Give your dog time to get used to the new one, and they usually will be fine. Bye!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 09:46:36 am »
Java went through the "When is the puppy going home?" phase when we brought Mickey home.  This seriously lasted for a month before he got used to it.  Java had decreased appetite and moodiness.

Now, they are best brothers and love spending every waking minute together. 

I think you should give it time, I bet she'll come around!
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein