Author Topic: IN ONE MORE WEEK I MAY BE IN A PADDED ROOM!  (Read 14429 times)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
IN ONE MORE WEEK I MAY BE IN A PADDED ROOM!
« on: September 23, 2005, 05:40:32 am »
 :o  Beauty has reached her "standing heat" stage of her cycle, 13 days into the heat.  I think I may go insane before iti s all over.  The first 13 days were not bad at all, she is in our large kennel, it is electric around the bottom, Aidan is inside most of the time, does not even go near the kennel when out with us.  HOWEVER 2 days ago we reached the "FUN" part of her heat.  The two of them have seperate kennels on opposite sides of the house, cannot see eachother, and NEVER SHUT UP!  I swear you would think they were dying the way they sound.  I actually took Aidan off the property today for 4 hours with me to town.  I thought he may have a stroke with all the commotion he is making.  THEN we get home and he goes back to his kennel it is a portable 12x12x12 we borrowed chain link,  heavy duty, from our neighbor who breeds huskies.  I put him in, went int he house and was just in time to see him lift the kennel with his head/neck and escape under it!!!!!  BEELINE for Beauty's kennel!  GOOD GRIEF!, so now we have secured it so he cannot lift it and he is out there making the biggest stink I have ever heard.  Just discovered the solar charger is not working properly on our large kennel, so I have to go out and convert it all to plug in.  EVERY manner he has learned has become obsolete in his manic stage, she is not helping by calling him all day and all night.  The poor boy may die if he doesn't calm down soon.   :o  WE made a stop at the vet today while in town as he is coming up for his rabies vacc due date, and he told me I could give him some benadryl to take the edge off.  Well if it works the same as it does when we use it on patients for agitation after they are worked up, I will have a dog who knows how to fly over 12ft fences!  Now me on the other hand could use a few benadryl right about now!   :o
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: IN ONE MORE WEEK I MAY BE IN A PADDED ROOM!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:34:16 am »
OK, you just made me very glad that Sugar Bear is fixed.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:14:28 am »
The price to be paid when you breed your dogs, dealing with the heat when you are not breeding again.  We plan when we want to have litters etc.  Right now would be inappropriate in my opinion given she was just bred 7 months ago, and middle of winter would be a very hard time when it came to putting pups outside as they grow.  I did try having them in the large kennel as it is divided into 2 sections and each section electric around the bottom.  They stay away from the fences.  Amazingly they both did very well when they were together, but seperate.  both laid down and were QUIET.  My worry is IF I am not outside supervising and able to intervene in the event one finds a way through to the other we have an unplanned breeding, which I do not want to happen.  For now, I will supervise during hte day.  I have the next 4 off, with Aidan inside at night when I cannot be out with them.  By that time we should be ALMOST done if not done with her heat.  When we build we will have 2 seperate areas with large runs into seperate buildings but for now we are ever vigiliant!  It is amazing the way they act in this time.  I told my husband I could not imagine him acting like that!   ::)
This was as Aidan was pitching a loud whining fit and had his head on Steve's shoulder.  Steve laughted, and told Aidan "  Its ok buddy I TOTALLY understand!"  I almost choked!  EXCUSE ME!!!! ;D :D ;)
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 09:01:58 am »
LMAO!! The picture in my head - Steve w/ his head on Aidan's shoulder yelping and whining when you tell him you have a "headache" :D

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 09:52:39 am »
Well, I'll just say that I'll stop saying we should wait until Sapphire is older to get spayed.   ;)  I heard its better to let them to have one heat, but if that is what they are like, plus the messiness...  We're planning on taking her in about two weeks; she'll be six months old.  That's probably old enough.  (Still, what is your opinion, Mrs. Kilde?)

I hope Beauty's heat is over soon and things are back to normal.

Sofia

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 12:00:44 pm »
Sofia,  I think she is old enough to be spayed.  I have not heard of letting one heat come before spaying.  Others may have.... ???  Keeping in mind the larger breeds tend to come into their first heat later, Beauty was just 1 year old when her first heat came.   I personally believe that if you are not breeding when they are old enough, they should be spayed/neutered.  Accidents happen so quickly, and if you do not know what youa re looking for you may end up with babies you had never planned on.  A heat cycle typically lasts 3 weeks.  Not all of it messy. It is easy to miss the period of the heat where she can concieve.   I think it is wise to have her spayed at 6 months old.  ;) Shana
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 12:02:45 pm »
LOL!  I totally agree!  I will have to store that image and his comment in my mental library for future use!
Storm Jameson

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 12:48:32 am »
Have to smile a little....keep the sense of humor right?   Well, K2 is standing now, too.  And if THAT doesn't look ridiculous!!   I think she comes up to Mike's knee's if that.  But,  I have given strict orders now that they are never left alone even to go to potty...human or otherwise.   I don't think they were taking me serious until I showed Dan what was about to happen....now he has is eyes wide open.  If mom weren't in assisted living she would take K2 for the week, but this isn't going to happen now.  We will do just fine.....I always meant to get her spayed a long time ago....but she goes into heat so infrequently that it's out of site out of mind and I had no males dogs around ever.   Well.....guess what...when she is done with this it's surgery time!!!!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 06:55:02 am »
May I ask how the dogs are with the kids handling them with a female is season close by?
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 01:05:46 pm »
My two dogs are so silly and love people and attention that they are just the same as always...Mike is just a little more distracted.  When he starts to get too excited over her I just use the command "leave it" and he walks away like a good boy....how long the command works is another story,  but when he gets more persistent we just gate them in different rooms for a while.  It seems to be working good.  Just a few more days and we will be ok.  My Kuvasz is so easy going that nothing seems to phase him....and my scotty...well, I once told the breeder that she forgot to send up her brains with her.....all attitude...no brains.  To this day 8 years later she still hasn't learned how to shake a paw...OR she is just way about that!!!

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 01:08:47 pm »
By the way....how did you come upon this breed....very interesting facts about them.

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 07:12:55 pm »
Well.......... Now it's MY turn to go crazy!!  These two goons are driving us NUTS!!!  My floozie of a scottish terrier is driving my poor Kuv pup CRAZY!!!!!  Who would have thought that my little precious girl would act in such a manner.  Just a few more days.  We now have to make sure Mike is in his kennel when we leave instead of just behind the gates....I think that smartie has the gates figured out!!  Shanna....why did you guys have to have such smart pups!!!! BUT, I still love them bunches!!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 07:32:24 pm »
LOL!  Really it is not funny, I know!  The boys can be hard to handle ESPECIALLY when the female isi n standing heat.  I did not have to much trouble with either of them and the kids, however I did not take ANY chances and they were kept totally apart.  The problem being unless you basically quarantine the female, she will pee and leave her lovely tempting scent that says "COME N GIT IT"! All over the place.  I did not realize that and a few times switched her and Aidan in the kennel so she could come in.  3 weeks in teh kennel, nom atter how nice itis is hard for me and her as she is inside a lot.  About drove him insane, he was droolig running around in circles, whites of eyes showing.  The vet offered to sedate him but we instead removed him from the house, took him for long car rides etc...What a joy! 
I am looking forward to her next heat as then she can breed again!  Puppies!!!!  I can hardly wait! 
They are very smart babies aren't they?  Aidan knows how to open the screen door with his paw, and recently they have learned how to open the kennel gate so we had to adjust that.  AAHHH the life!  Good luck with him and K2, it is a crazy time!
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 07:36:30 pm »
How did we come opun the Kuvasz breed?  Or are you asking someone else that question???
Storm Jameson

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 10:11:57 am »
Now it's our turn for a padded room.  Dixie is in about day 11 of her heat.  I though she was flagging her tail two days ago but I am not sure now.  I have been told that when I run my had down her back she will lift her back end.  Sugar Bear(fixed) is making her crazy at least a few times a day.  It is going to be a loooooooooooon g two more weeks.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)