Author Topic: I met Misha's Daddy  (Read 10077 times)

BabsT

I met Misha's Daddy
« on: September 25, 2005, 04:47:16 am »
His name is Dato (Caucasian Ovcharka) a.k.a. Caucasian Shepherd and what a great dog...tolerant, steady, alert and confident and moves very well.  He was a monster of a dog 160lbs but not extremely tall  Pictures really didnt do him justice.  I also met Balou but he was an extreme for temp so I couldnt take any pictures of him:(  Dato was very wide with a HUGE head.  I felt like I was walking a bear...and Balou was just MONSTER HUGE 190 lbs and he was incredible on his OB but strangers were just a NO NO LOL

P.S. Dont mind me in the pics, I am such a geek

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: I met Misha's Daddy
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 05:07:19 am »
OMG! He's so beautiful!!! :o I really do love the Caucasians.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 12:57:34 am »
Wow, Babs! What an incredible dog! How cool that you got to meet Misha's papa! I'm sure that makes you feel more connected to the whole family!

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:10:38 am »
Thanks everyone...He was a cool dog...Now I have to meet Mama LOL...

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:21:57 am »
Whoa!...That is so cool!...When I saw the title of your thread was like, "please let their be pictures"!...lol...I was not disappointed!!!...Great looking!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 01:39:20 am »
Ohhhhhhh, I just love the dark wolf sabling colors!  *drool*

Since you have an Ovcharka, you know a LOT more about them than me.  :D  Can I ask you something?  I really love the look of them and the Sharplannitz(i know I butchered that,sorry).  Have you any idea on their similarities and differences, personality and temperment wise?

I like protective dogs, such as aussies.  However at the same time, I don't want something that has to be locked away for company.  Some barks and then acceptance when I give the ok.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

BabsT

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 02:02:47 am »
I dont know of any first hand but I belive that they are a bit more mellow...of course there are exceptions to the rules

My boy zero is socialized with every single family member 5 bros 2 sisters 15 nieces and nephes plus spouses and inlaws....all of those people can come and go into my house and he is ALL BUM WIGGLES

If you are a true stranger he will be crated becasuse he will be angry until you leave

If you are a stranger to him but familiar to me, an introduction needs to be made...pretty much i say hi to you and you pay zero mind to the dog...He is like a book to read so I know if he wont accept you...if he doesnt, in the crate he goes

Zero is a Central Asian Shepherd 10.5-11month old and he has been that way since 7 months...Mind you I go above and beyond on socialization and he goes everywhere with me still...sheetm etal shops, machine shops, my sons school, play grounds, elevators, hotels, long car rides, pet stores, gun clubs, etc....you name it, we have done it

He still has a strong distrust of stangers but he is not a lunging beast... I am always on guard with who is around and people can pet him if they are polite and responsible and dont go run up to him or wave their hands everwhere...he will react no questions asked

However, he doesnt go looking for trouble, he is very obedient and will sit at my side quite happily watching the world go by him out on leash

Now Misha is only 16 or 17 wks and she acts pretty much the same way as Zero but more dog aggressive (YES DOG AGGRESSIVE) I know at such a young age...she loves Zero but if another dog invades her space she will react...as a pup I let everyone pet her at her age because I dont belive you can take the temp out of these dogs if they are well bred...she will make it clear when she is all set and turn her back on you

To their owners and the people they love....they are truly amazing dogs that will give their life for you in a second.

I have commerical grade 6' fencing with one padlocked get in my yard where they romp and play otherwise they are with me and inside if I am not home

Owning a rarer LGD is a huge responsiblily and most peole do not understand their high defensive drive...You have to understand the CO was bred to kill whatever was a threat...and the CAO isnt far behind

The biggest issue with the public is that they are furry and people think all furry dogs are sweet lovable creatures....a nd well they are but to their human family not to strangers

Zero is very well mannered on leash and will ignore 99% of the world unless it is dark out, then he is on high alrert and if you are a  unfamiliar guest in the evening, he goes in his crate no questions about it and will sometimes cover the crate

My pup right now is still a baby so she can romp and play with the strangers and I encourage it as much as possible...BUT she does and will continue to feed off of zero on what is ok and not ok.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 02:25:11 am »
I think the LGD traits are fascinating, and love reading the stories of their adventures.  At the same time I know that they are definetly not the dog for me, but still enjoy reading about them. I thought this was an interesting read :

http://www.ovcharka-breeds.com/THC2.htm

PS: Forgot to add.. That's a beautiful dog!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 02:26:46 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 02:31:02 am »
He's so hansome!!! I'm happy that you got to meet her daddy.

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 09:17:31 am »
Thanks everyone for your kind words