Author Topic: Ranger is Sick...  (Read 10181 times)

dohertyswissy

Ranger is Sick...
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:51:34 pm »
...and I'm trying to decide what to do.  Ranger woke me up this morning around 4:30 a.m. to go outside, which is highly unusual.  I let him out and as I'm coming back to the bedroom, I realize that he has had "pudding stools" in 2 places in the room.  Ranger has NEVER pooped in the house, so when he does, I know something is up.  I cleaned those up and then decided that I'm staying home with him today.  He's had an upset tummy before and I know the drill about no food, just small increments of water until he can hold it things down.  Well, he just threw up the water he drank maybe 20 mins ago.  So, I'm debating on whether or not I should take him to the vet.  He's had this before and I know an antibiotic was needed. 

What do you guys think?  Give him 24 hours or take him to the vet today?  ???

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger is Sick...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 11:56:43 pm »
I'd withhold food and water for a few hours and just watch him.  If he seems in pain or uncomfortable in any way, by all means, take him in.  If he seems okay, try giving him a couple of ice cubes to chew on in a couple of hours.  If that stays down, water this afternoon and if he still is okay, try the boiled hamburger (with the fat poured off) and some rice tonight.  A very small amount....mayb e 1/4 of what he usually gets.  Tomorrow morning, increase the am't of the rice and meat to maybe half of the normal am't with all the water he wants and then by tomorrow night, if all is well, try his normal diet.  If at any time he can't keep the food and water down, take him in.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 11:57:02 pm »
Aw! Poor wittle baby Wanger! Give him hugs and kisses from his Auntie Nicole and his cousin Cabeza!

I would call the vet, describe the symptoms, and see what the vet thinks. But, if you already took the day off to be with him, you may as well take him today.

I hope he feels better soon!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:59:50 am »
Well, I called the vet.  He told me to basically do exactly what Newflvr suggested and that if he was unable to hold the ice cubes down, to bring him in.  He thinks that Ranger probably got into something that has upset his tummy, but isn't anything major.  Right now, he is snoozing away and has managed to keep 1/2 an ice cube down for 30 mins.  I'll keep you guys posted.  If he pukes again though, I'm bringing him in.

I hate it when he's sick.  It breaks my heart.   :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:11:43 am »
I so COMPLETELY agree!  I can't stand to see any animal sick, but esp. my big babies!  Chester did the same thing last week (that's the only reason I was quick on the draw ;) ;)) and of course he was fine by the next day.  So much  of it is they just eat ANYTHING with no thought of what it can do to their stomachs.

Hope Ranger is back to himself soon!!!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 01:23:18 am »
Poor Ranger! Hope he's better soon. Kiah is still sick. Been to the vet got meds and perscription food which she threw up this morning. I'm going to wait until the meds are finished and if she's still throwing up then off to the vet again. How's his stool? If you do take him in remember the sample too! I hate it when babies are sick.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 06:13:53 am »
Well, we have made it 1 hour after eating a yummy mix of rice and boiled chicken.  Keep your fingers crossed b/c it is going to be SUPER gross if that comes back up.   :P

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 06:14:54 am »
Fingers and paws crossed here for you RAnger. Feel better soon :-*

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 06:22:56 am »
Great news....then the ice and water has stayed down all day!!!  GREAT!!!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 06:24:36 am »
Sure did newflvr!  Whew!!!  Thanks for all the support and advice!  I'll keep y'all posted.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 09:45:17 pm »
How's Ranger doing? I hope he's better today. We're still battling with Kiah to keep things down. She just eats everything in the yard. It doesn't matter what it is. She has such a sensitive stomach.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 09:56:55 pm »
Poor Ranger.   :-[  I'm glad that he was able to keep that down last night.  Hopefully he'll be more up to par today.  Give him some snuggles from us!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 10:01:26 pm »
I'd call your vet & see if they think he sould be seen today...I hope he is feeling better soon!

Blair

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:16 pm »
I hope your baby is feeling better today! Ill snd him so hugs to make him better

dohertyswissy

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 10:43:49 pm »
Here's the latest.  We have had no vomiting for the past day.  When giving him the rice and boiled chicken their were no pudding stools either.  Actually, their were no stools at all.  I'm guessing b/c the poor guys system was all empty.  Anyhow, last night, we mixed in a tiny bit of his normal kibble with his rice and boiled chicken.  Same thing this morning.   Hubby called me at work and said that he had a pudding stool this morning. 

So, I don't know if I jumped the gun on adding in the kibble?  Or if his stomach is still out of whack.  There hasn't been any vomiting, though.

I think I'm going to go back to the rice and boiled chicken.  If he still has a pudding stool tonight, I'm going to take him to the vet.

What do you guys think?!?