Author Topic: What do you all think? (feeding question)  (Read 4064 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
What do you all think? (feeding question)
« on: September 27, 2005, 03:22:11 am »
Chester has been on Eagle Pack Giant Breed Puppy since I switched him from ProPlan about two months ago.  He's a seven month old Newf and he weighs about 75 pounds but he seems to be eating less and less.  He used to eat about 2 1/2 - 3 cups of kibble twice a day with some of the juices from Cowboy's cooked meat and veg and about a 1/4 cup of Cowboy's meat  mixed with his kibble.  He's leaving more and more of his food in his bowl.  I cut the kibble to a little less than 2 cups twice a day and he's still leaving anywhere from a 1/2 cup to a full cup in his bowl.  He seems to be full of energy and ready to play at any time so I don't think he's sick....except he will throw up  bile early in the morning (like maybe 4:30 - 5:00 (before my eyes are open!) but he's cleaned it up by the time we roll out (about 5:30).  That's happend a couple of times....but not all the time.  Do you think I need to change his food again?  Any suggestions?  I asked the breeder about it and he says that male Newfs are self regulating and will only eat until they aren't hungry anymore, but I don't remember my previous male Newfs doing that.

BabsT

Re: What do you all think? (feeding question)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 03:45:24 am »
Seems fine to me...the other thing is i think eagle pack may be more calorie dense than Pro Plan but I am not sure...if your dog is acting healthy and happy, why switch the food...You can prob take him off the puppy food too...I belive most people dont feed giant breed puppy for long before they switch to an adult food...

DOnt quote me though because I am a raw feeder...Good Luck and I feel your boy is well

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 03:52:22 am »
I'm with Babs on starting the switch to big boy food and with Eagle being a better qaulity food than Pro plan he's def not going to eat as much, as Pro Plan has a lot of fillers in it compared to the Eagle.  Also, his psycho crazy growth spurts might be slowing down.  Sanity's eating habits were wicked wacky.  Sometimes he wouldn't even finish 2 cups for the whole day and other days he'd eat 14!  I would notice that the increase in appetite correlated to the increase in height.  He just might be going through a lull.  :)

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 07:20:16 am »
I just bought a small bag of Eagle Pack Fish so we're going to give that a go for a week or so and see if his appetite picks up...and it's an adult formula so I hope that will be okay.

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 07:32:08 am »
Just switch the foods gradually...ad d some of the new food to the other kind and gradually increase until the dog is fully switched over...if the dog gets loose stolls go back a little bit etc...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 09:18:14 am »
Okay!!  We're on it right now! ;D

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:29:02 pm »
DO NOT FEED EAGLE PAK FISH TO YOUR NEWF PUPS!!!!!!
dang it
it is safe for adults but not for young growing newfs!
there have been many growth anomoly due to lack of many necessary nutrient!!!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 02:44:37 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505