Author Topic: Peanut Butter  (Read 10819 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Peanut Butter
« on: April 24, 2005, 09:08:44 am »
I use PB in my dogs kongs and mix in things like apple, or cheese and they LOVE them!  My question in, how much PB is too much? They would eat cups full if I let them.  Especially Finn.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut Butter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:14:13 am »
That is a really good question. My Bear LOVES his peanut butter too. Hopefully we can get some good info from people out there.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:39:14 am »
Don't hold me to it, but I have never heard anything about that they shouldnt eat more than a certain amount. I mean use common sense. The only things I can see is, since it is rather fatty, their stomachs could get upset if given too much (if sensetive bellies) also I do believe that aswell as people, dogs can develop an allergy for nuts. Mine love it too, and I cant say I keep it to a certain amount, as long as common sense is there, I think we are all doing fine, and we do have big dogs, so its a little different than giving a toy poodle right lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:43:30 am »
I've heard everything in moderation is best.  We put a little peanut butter on their dog biscuits (homemade!) every day and they love it!!  Rufus would live on peanut butter if he could.  It does get stuck on the roof of his mouth though but that is fun to watch!

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 09:59:31 pm »
I only put a little bit of penut butter on the bottom (the hole) and a little on the very top. I also use vegimite (the yeast is good for the coat) and also some yogurt. I sometimes up a little cheese inside. My puppy Oz loves to have bits of apples along with soft treats and some homemade dog food. Jessica my adult does not like fruit in it but love anything else.

Toni, mom of Jessica and Oz
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:51:27 am »
I take a 1/2 apple core out the middle and stick a nice spoonful inside...Cassi e's most favorite treat ever!!! She will take the apple and put it between her paws and nibble it till she gets to the peanut butter, and then..... heaven on earth!!! I think moderation is key... my rule of thumb is, would it be too much for me.... Cassie and I weigh within 25 pounds of one another (not saying who weighs more) :) I think.... would I eat this and would this size snack be sufficient.... I could be all wet though. 
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark