Author Topic: Lily vs. Raven  (Read 2974 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Lily vs. Raven
« on: October 04, 2005, 11:59:56 pm »
Hi, I need some help here.  Since I got lily last week her and my other dog have been going at it.  I've been able to keep it to a minimum by watching them closely and crating them both when I go out.  Last night though, Lily ripped a huge tear in Raven's ear.  Now Raven is afraid to come out from under the computer desk and is never really resting unless they are completely seperated.  I love Lily and Raven, but I don't want them to hurt each other.  Should I find a new home for Lily or see if they eventually work it out?  I'm open to all suggestions.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Lily vs. Raven
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 12:33:30 am »
Have you tried working with a behaviorist?  They can help you figure out what's causing the aggression and work to resolve it.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 12:35:11 am »
Are they fighting over food or a toy? Or are they just trying to kill each other every time they see one another?? Either way I'm sure it's scary to have two big dogs fighting right in front of you!
I have had aggression problems in my home when a new foster came to live with us, but it was always over a toy or some food. After one serious ear-ripping episode, things settled down because one dog established dominance over the other. If one is willing to back down, things often settle down. It's when both dogs think they are number one that you really have problems. Do you think Raven will submit now?

I'd say stay calm and really analyze the situation, and go with your instinct about whether you think the dogs are really going to seriously hurt one another. Sometimes it just takes a while for two adult dogs to get used to living together. But other times they never get used to it... check out some posts by member Moonlitcroatia . She has two dogs that she has to keep separated constantly.

I sincerely hope things work out for you and you are able to keep both dogs. It is so hard when your babies fight with one another.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 12:49:45 am »
Originally I thought it was food or toys so I fed them seperately and give them toys seperately.  But the door bell rang last night and I opened the door and they just went at it.  I have no idea what set it off.  They've gone to the door together before with no incidents.  I know I have to give lily the chance and Raven is backing down, but I feel like I've stripped her of her freedom.  She jumps every time Lily gets up and she just lays there with a sad look.  She used to play all the time and she doesn't anymore.  Raven has always been submissive, and at first she did try to play with Lily, but she's so scared now and I don't know how to fix it.  I can try a behaviorist, but if I have to constantly keep them seperated I don't know how I'm going to do that.  Lily whines and barks if she's not near me and so does Raven.  I feel like I'm going to go crazy.  I want it to work so bad and I'm so frustrated.  I guess I always thought because Raven gets along with every other dog that this would be great for her.  Boy was I wrong.

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 01:47:58 am »
I try not to interfear with dogs establishing a pack order amoungst themselved...W Hen Misha arrived Zero thought she would go home...But she didnt...they had one brawl and Misha knew that Zero was boss and end of story...Yes she was young but she was pushing her luck. SHe really is a powerful dog for someone so young

I have heard that female issues can be bac...are you sure u are the leader of the pack?

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 03:29:32 am »
I'm not trying to interfere with them establishing a pack order.  That has already been established.  I just can't justify sitting by and watching them rip each other to shreds.  They aren't in the wild and I don't want them behaving like they are.  And this hasn't only happened once.  It's happened quite a few times.  This is the only time blood was shed though.  The other problem is that they are both around the same age.  This isn't a puppy against an adult.  This is a 16 month old dog against a 13 month old dog.  And the 13 month old is twice as big as the 16 month old.  If it was just some nipping or warning growls I wouldn't be overreacting, but this is all out fighting.  And one of these days one of my kids is going to get in the middle of it.