Author Topic: Problem in the Agricultural Appropriations Bill of 2006; Microchips Required!!  (Read 21244 times)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Deena
Thanks for the information.
Jenn

SA_horses

I just wanted to let everyone know that the 33 million for NAIS is actually for livestock (as I thought someone had posted here but did not see when I looked at it again  ???).  Microchips will not necessarily be required for that either.

I thought I should make this correction, even though it is old, so that people searching archives do not find incorrect information about this here.

Sofia  (the same Sofia who posted earlier)

cricket36580

Thank you for the information.  Reading all the bills and stuff makes me have headaches so I really appreciate the info ya'll give...and the links.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
I think microchipping is a great idea....and I do think it should be standardized.  Cowboy lived the first part of his life on the East Coast and was microchipped there.  Now he's a West Coast dude and has another microchip.  If we have to get a third, we will.  It doesn't bother me in the least how he's found...just as long as he is.  And if the gov't wants to find me....here I am....jury duty next week!  AGHHHH! ;)

What's wrong with the U.S. & microchips? Microchipping in the UK is not a problem, there is a one off fee and the microchip ID goes to the Kennel Club (if registered) and a central register. They keep a record of the owner and the vet who implanted. Microchipping is used for Rabies control in that to take your dog abroad, the dog has a passport to confirm that it has had its jabs and dogs are not admitted into the UK unless quarenteened or have a passport.

Bell escaped on me when visiting my niece who lives over 200 miles away, being microchipped the person who found her took her to the vets who contacted my vet who then traced where I was through a neighbour. Bell and I were reunited within 2 hours.

It seems the US are in a bit of a mess in that there will soon be 3 systems on the go, why on earth do you have one for the west coast and a different one for the east, what happens when you go on holiday? do you only take your dog where the chip can be read?

The UK uses the same chip for dogs, motorcycles or anything else that needs a chip that way you only need one reader.

You have my sympathy, there appears to be a lot of letter writing and butt kicking to be done to get your Government to be sensible on this matter.

Andy, Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
I don't think it's the government that has the issue.  Like it or not, we all feel we have a 'right' to do just as we'd like in this country:  that if the gov't tells us to microchip, that smacks of a totalitarian government.  Sometime freedom is like untied shoe laces:  you can feel free but can be tripped up at any time.  Making an issue of microchipping just seems a bit silly to me.

JMHO  ;D

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
I don't think it's the government that has the issue.  Like it or not, we all feel we have a 'right' to do just as we'd like in this country:  that if the gov't tells us to microchip, that smacks of a totalitarian government.  Sometime freedom is like untied shoe laces:  you can feel free but can be tripped up at any time.  Making an issue of microchipping just seems a bit silly to me.

JMHO  ;D

I agree entirely in the UK we have the choice to microchip or not so theres no problem. The UK government is talking about ID cards for everyone and charging us £80.00 + for the priveledge. I don't mind the microchip because I'm not made to do it, but if the government thinks I'm getting an ID card, they can forget it, I'll move abroad first. I've got a passport, what more do I need.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
Got to agree with that.  We already have ID cards...they are called a driver's license.  We are made to show them all the time...what's the difference between that and a formal ID card???

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
If the UK Govt has its way, we will all be on a DNA database, fingerprint records and cornea recognition it will also carry whatever the govt decides is necessary, which with this lot will no doubt include everything including what you had for lunch yesterday!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
You are in the same position we are in so I sort of understand the point.  You have SO many more immigrants that you used to have!  Last time I was in London, it was almost rare to see and English person!!! 

It's like that here too, in Southern California.    We literally have everything in our neighborhood.  Does make for great foreign food restaurants!!  Chinese?  Mexican? Japanese? Indian? Viet? Thai? Samoan? Croation? Canadian? (I'm kidding, there!!!) ;D ;D ;D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
the microchip ID goes to the Kennel Club (if registered) and a central register.

Yes, but from the pre-dog research I've been doing, YOUR Kennel Club is, in fact, interested in the actual welfare of dogs. 

OURS is a money grubbing supporter of puppy milling, interested in licensing fees.

I don't want AKC anymore involved than they already are, thanks very much. 

we will all be on a DNA database, fingerprint records and cornea recognition

As Orwellian as that sounds, after the experience a co-worker of mine had with identity theft, I don't necessarily think it's such a bad idea.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
It all boils down to revenue!
Our 'elected' officials are looking for ways to keep their hands in our pockets.
When the people of our great 'Democracies' realize that we have the power to 'elect' as a given, the next step is to have the power to 'select' who we want to 'elect'.
Party politics and the powers that be have been selling that idea forever. And it is used to placate the masses.
We have the right to vote, but we don't have the right to vote for the candidate that reflects our true feelings. Their names will never show up on our ballots! We the People are numbers, We the People are pawns in the game of power politics.
If you want to make a change, and you are commited to it, there is only one way to acheive it.
NEVER vote for an incumbent!
You have to think about why people get into politics. They may have a vision, they may have the answer that we have been seeking, but...unfortun ately, they are only in it for themselves.
There is no greater country than the U.S.A.
And I'm Proud to be a Citizen, and a Viet Nam Vet!
But if you want to make a change...heed these words!
NEVER vote for an incumbent!
The fear of not being re-elected is right up there with being rejected.
Make your representative s work for you!
This is the end of my rant.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
ARGGGGGGGG!!!!!!