Author Topic: A sick little Bogard Boy....need some help w/ symptoms!  (Read 14468 times)

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
A sick little Bogard Boy....need some help w/ symptoms!
« on: October 08, 2005, 01:51:13 am »
My poor little Bogard is sick!  It all started last Friday, when he started coughing in the morning.  Kind of a gagging, hacking type of cough.   He then developed a thick, green/yellow mucous discharge from his nose mostly, a little bit from his eyes.  I was worried about the new Canine Flu going around, so we took him to the vet.  Plus he’s only 14 weeks old, and my first puppy so I’m nervous about his health all of a sudden taking a turn.

The vet did CBC tests and found out that he is anemic, (his hemoglobin and RBC count are down.)  White cells were good.  Because of the green mucus discharge, she prescribed antibiotics, which he’s been taking for 1 week now.   The low RBC count pointed towards parasites (he’s already been wormed 3 times by the Breeder prior to 8 weeks old) and again by my vet when he was about 9.5 weeks old.  So she ordered Panacur to give him for the parasites (possible hook worms she thought?) and we administered the first tube last night.

His coughing has gotten a little better, but the mucus is still really apparent.  He sneezes it and it flies out everywhere, he shakes his head and it runs down his face, he lays on his side to sleep and it drips out in large droplets onto the floor.  And when he does nothing at all it runs down his little face.

This morning, he woke up vomiting a frothy bile substance, had 2 poops, one a bit on the runny side, and one fairly solid.  He hasn’t had anything else to eat, but drank a little water and seemed to keep that down okay. 

Other than the above he hasn’t had any diarrhea or severe vomiting.  He isn’t much of an eater normally when he’s healthy, but he’s really only taking in about 2 cups/day of kibble right now. 

Does anyone have any advice for us??  I feel like I’m bridging the line of being a freaked out mother and honestly concerned about his health!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: A sick little Bogard Boy....need some help w/ symptoms!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 04:50:41 am »
I hope he feels better soon.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 04:54:13 am »
Thanks for your thoughts Jenn! 

He's actually only had 2 DHPP shots so far, and they recommend 3 for him because we live in NYC, Manhattan, and the vet says parvo is rampant out here. 

That's the first thing I thought of too  :'(  But the vet seems to think that he'd have severe vomiting (chronic) with diarrhea for Distemper - which I thought I remember reading there is no test for? 

Just worried mostly, and hoping maybe someone else has had experience with similar symptoms in a pup.  Thanks again! 

henrysmomma

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 04:55:53 am »
Good luck with the little guy, I hope he feels better soon! :D

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 05:40:01 am »
Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 06:05:46 am »

I would NOT vaccinate this puppy again until he is in VIGOROUS health.

Many vets for whatever reason neglect to mention, or do not read the package inserts with vaccines which caution to NEVER vaccinate a sick or debilitated animal.

Some forms of upper respiratory disease and contagious coughs in dogs do produce nasal discharge. I had it happen once last year, and the pup had to be on antibiotics. She had quite a lot of the nasty snots too.

Keep up with his medications, and stay away from any immune stresses like vaccines until he is feeling all better and has no symptoms.

If he were my pup I might titer him for parvo and distemper since he's had 2 rounds, and if he were blood serum immune I would not vax him any more.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 07:39:12 am »
The "nasty snots" are exactly what my little man has got!!  Thanks for your advise Red!!  The vet drew blood again today (we had him back in early this morning for a follow up), she was going to run a CBC -  I'll make sure I contact her first thing tomorrow to check in and ask about titers for parvo/distemper.

Is he contagious as long as there is snot still streaming from his nose?  I'm worried also about his socialization period - this is a critical window for a giant breed to get out and about and meet people, other dogs, etc.  1st concern is his health though of course.   :)

Thanks again guys!  We'll hope things start to look up for him this next week. 

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 08:55:40 am »

You should ask your vet about contagion. I would suspect yes.

The poor little guy.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 11:52:08 am »
Is there any chance it could be that new dog influenza?  Aren't the symptoms coughing and a thick yellow nasal discharge?  And isn't it in the New York area along with much of the East Coast?   From what I read, it can be treated with antibiotics.

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 10:15:52 pm »
Also if He not Better in a Day,Call Your Vet Back,Most important Time Stay on top of these thing's when we are not sure what they are He is sososossoso Cute We Send Kiskiskikikiki kikikkikikikik ikikkikikikikk iskssksssiskis ksisskiskisksk kskskkskskksks kskskskskiskis kiskiskiskskis kiskiskiskiski kskkskiskiskis kiskiskiskskis kiskskiskskisk iskiskiskskisk iskskskiskskis kiskiskiskiski skiskskiskiski skiskiskisksks kskskskskskisk iskskisksksksk sksksksksksskk skskskskshope he is better love molly&Maggie!Mu!!!!!!!!!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 10:23:34 pm »
I agree with Red on not vaccinating if he is sick. I can tell you from experience with Tonka, out vet would not vaccinate her when she had tummy problems  when she was little so they took blood and told us to wait. (The emergency vet was not happy, but I stuck with what her regular vet said, they sent me a letter that I had so many days to get her shot records to them) I hope he gets feeling better soon, there is nothing like a sick little puppy that looks so pitiful.

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 01:51:36 am »
Is there any chance it could be that new dog influenza?  Aren't the symptoms coughing and a thick yellow nasal discharge?  And isn't it in the New York area along with much of the East Coast?   From what I read, it can be treated with antibiotics.

This is what I was worried about from day 1.   :(  His symptoms seem to fall right under that category, and if it was something like distemper/parvo he'd have severe vomiting and blood diarrhea.  Good news is that the vet put him on antibiotics right away, so he's about 1/3 of the way through his 10 day course.  So if it is....we're on the right track here.  I'll keep you guys updated on his condition....h e kept down his dinner of white rice and a little boiled chicken last night... ;D.....so hopefully the vomiting was from the de-worming meds possibly?  ugh....poor little guy he's all drugged up... and I hate that! 

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 01:54:46 am »
Also if He not Better in a Day,Call Your Vet Back,Most important Time Stay on top of these thing's when we are not sure what they are He is sososossoso Cute We Send Kiskiskikikiki kikikkikikikik ikikkikikikikk iskssksssiskis ksisskiskisksk kskskkskskksks kskskskskiskis kiskiskiskskis kiskiskiskiski kskkskiskiskis kiskiskiskskis kiskskiskskisk iskiskiskskisk iskskskiskskis kiskiskiskiski skiskskiskiski skiskiskisksks kskskskskskisk iskskisksksksk sksksksksksskk skskskskshope he is better love molly&Maggie!Mu!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your kisses   :D  I spoke with the vet again this morning(she's checking in a LOT on us) ...we'll hang in there! 

Cute new pic of your girl - haven't seen that one before! 

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 02:00:05 am »
I agree with Red on not vaccinating if he is sick. I can tell you from experience with Tonka, out vet would not vaccinate her when she had tummy problems  when she was little so they took blood and told us to wait. (The emergency vet was not happy, but I stuck with what her regular vet said, they sent me a letter that I had so many days to get her shot records to them) I hope he gets feeling better soon, there is nothing like a sick little puppy that looks so pitiful.

Glad your Tonka came out okay in the end....thank goodness my vet isn't pushing me to get any vaccinations since he's been a little under the weather.  His rabies was due at 12 weeks (per city laws) and there was NO way I was going to do that in light of his condition and she was right on board with us.  I'm going to go with what Red suggested and titer him for parvo/distempter since he's already had 2 rounds, and then make our decision!  You guys are all so helpful, it puts my mind at ease to know we're on the right track with him!!! 

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 03:19:50 am »
are saint  Maggie got sick wene was a pup at 10 weeks and that was no fun maggie was vomoting,Bilile,and all that stuff they gave her a shot put on med,But oh i was Worry so sick,it is like a Baby,She is 10 mo old know still getting in Trouble,the last Remote Control she ate, I hope was her last! She is my Big Beast!But This Here Is My Blue Molly She has a Blue Eye,That make's Her My Angel! She is a Choc,Brown Saint Bernard!!Out of a litter of 14 only 4 lived molly was one i was Joyed to get her She is A Cutie!! Kisses,&Huges To Bogard,for baby sound's like he may be on his way i sure hope!love all us at molly & maggie Place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!