Author Topic: Doberman Growth question  (Read 22842 times)

Offline Cassius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Doberman Growth question
« on: October 10, 2005, 07:21:55 am »
I have a 14 week old doberman (with papers). I have a question about his size. Is 20 lbs at 14 weeks normal? I've been feeding him adult food since 8 weeks (via breeder) and it seems like he should be larger. Thanks in advance

henrysmomma

Re: Doberman Growth question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:29:27 am »
Could you possibly post a pic? Usually size is a better determining factor than weight. But I think as long as the pup is gaining and not losing weight and completely healthy you are on the right track. Also comparing the pup to the size of the parents is a good indicator. Different lines breed for different sizes.

Rose ;)

Hope this helps

(ps there are weight charts on line, I'm not sure where to find them, but i know they do exist)

Offline Cassius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:31:33 am »
My breeder and my brother's dobbie breeder both said that puppy food ends to have to much fat in it and will make the puppy grow faster than the bones and muscles can take.Where did you get you puppy from... just curious?

henrysmomma

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 07:38:46 am »
Yeah, for the larger breeds puppy food isn't that great. Actually most dog foods aren't but we use what's at our disposal. If you feel your pup isn't gaining weight, try adding some raw food to the diet. I do so whenever I can(it's too expensive to do on a regular basis), and my dogs are much healthier for it. Henry was fed puppy food till about 7 months, then he was on large breed dog food. Bulldogs tend to have a lot of bone problems because the fat content in their diet is too high. As for where I got him, he was a special order that the breeder no longer wanted and ended up in a pet store where we subsequently "rescued" him.

Rose :)

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 07:40:51 am »
Hi Cassius,
I haven't seen you post before so welcome to BPO. I have had dobermans for about 17 years now, and currently still have one bitch along with a dane and dane/IW mix puppy. As to your question, can I ask a couple to clarify things?
Is your puppy a bitch or a dog? Females are generally smaller than males to begin with.
The other thing is, how does it look? Is it bright eyed, with a nice shiney coat, healthy pink gums, can you see ribs or is it unusually skinny? How does it act? Normal puppy bouncy, curious and happy, ready to play, then sleep like the dead, or is it lethargic and mopey all the time?
All of those are better indicators than weight, because it can really vary from pup to pup. Dogs get growth spurts, just like kids, and the puny 40 LB grade schooler can turn into a Liv Tyler look alike.
The scrawniest dobie pup I ever had developed into a 110 lb monster who was the sweetest, gentlest dog I ever had.
It sounds like you have a good relationship with the breeder, they are really your best resource if you can ask them. They should be familar with the way their lines should develope.
Sorry this is kinda long, but I hope it helped.
Stella

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 07:44:59 am »
Duh OK, His size should have clued me in that it is a male. Sorry, had a brain fart.
Stella

Offline Cassius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 08:05:46 am »
Cassius is the Dobbie name, (thanks for the welcome) He is very healthy looking, shinny coat, playful when he's out his crate, bones don't poke out and dominate towards the mixed 30lb dog in the house. I guess I'm more in the dark because I've owned a rott in the past and was alot bigger at this age. Cassius is currently 18 1/2" tall from feet to shoulders. I guess I'm just a newbiw all the way around.

P.S. this is actually my second post. I posted a week or two before I got him. He's a great dog. Very smart but often tests his limits.

Offline Cassius

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 08:10:38 am »
Original intro. http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,2540.msg28381.html#msg28381

4  BPO Introductions / Introduce Yourself to the Forum / Hey everyone!!! Newbie here.
« on: August 13, 2005, 12:47:49 PM » 

Well I just wanted to introduce myself and my soon to be doberman puppy. My name is Louis and am located in Vallejo. I am currently waiting on my 6 weeks old doberman puppy.  I have three more weeks (two until it's 8 weeks and an extra week for evaluation) I am very excited. He is purebred and comes from a champion line. This will be my first dobie but I've owned a couple rotts in the past. I want to do everything right. I will be looking to attend some puppy training (any info on classes will be appreciated).  Also I will post pics later

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 08:28:51 am »
Thanks, Louis, I must have missed the first post.  ::) It sounds like your pup is happy and healthy, not to worry. Some lines of dobermans are finer boned, for example, the American show breeds are more slight than the german imports.
When I brought my first dane home I was obsessive about his weight, because no matter what I fed him, or how much, I could always see way too many bones through his skin. It took three vets and one trainer to get it through my head that he was just fine, and I needed to stop worrying. He is now a grand 140 LB 4 year old, and as healthy as a horse.
Enjoy your baby, and (hint, hint) I love puppy pictures ::)
Stella

Offline Elite mdl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 05:40:53 am »
I also have a doberman puppy "Big" and he is 10 weeks old and weighs 20 lb. We were told by one vet that he is small, but when we took him to see his brothers and sisters (from the same litter) he was more than twice their size...he looked like Clifford the big red dog. So i don't know what to think about his size. ???