Author Topic: Thoughts after 1 Bag of Costco Kirkland Signature brand  (Read 18363 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts after 1 Bag of Costco Kirkland Signature brand
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 10:05:49 pm »
Sugar Bear will not eat pumpkin.  I have even frozen it into cubes. I will give the sweet potatoes a try.

Lisa
Newf Lover, I am having the same issue with Sugar Bear.  We had the first semi-firm poop today, ;D which was great since he has been having diarrhea and cow pies for months.  What have you found that works?  Sugar Bear has been to the vet 4 times with tummy issues since January.  The vet can not find anything wrong.  He is on Natures Recipe, 2 caps of slippery elm, 2 lactobacillus-acidophilus, solid gold dzymes, 1t of flaxseed meal.  I am at a lost for what to try next.  Sometimes it will get a little better for a day and then it is back to the soft poop. 

Lisa

Dixie, have you tried adding either sweet potatoes or natural pumpkin to their diet.  This works wonders with my dogs.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 10:44:05 pm »
The Ultra Nutro Max is more expensive than the other Nutro brands. I tried a small bag once cant say I noticed a big rush of enthusiasm at diner time. So till I can find this Kirkland brand, I'll stick with Nutro at least its $10 cheaper than Proplan, every penny counts these days.

P.S. sorry Mr.Walton!

Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 11:01:02 pm »
Newf Lover, I am having the same issue with Sugar Bear.  We had the first semi-firm poop today, ;D which was great since he has been having diarrhea and cow pies for months.  What have you found that works? 

Nothing works 100% for Drake, no matter what he eats he gets diarrhea.  Poor buddy!  I'm hearing all this good support of the Kirkland Dog Food, so maybe we'll try that. 

Speaking of Costco, WE LOVE THAT PLACE!!!  It has absolutlely everything and it's not cheap crappy stuff.  We have bought so much stuff there, our BBQ, Christmas gifts, camping tents, vacuum cleaner, books, DVDs and on and on and on.  The wine selection at our Costco here in Novato is one of the best in the whole Bay Area!  I've gotten passport photos there, all of our prescription meds and tons and tons of food.  The best is Saturdays when they have tons of free samples.  Don't need lunch after that, or I can buy a fat slice of pizza on my way out.  Oh yeah, the monster bags of gummi bears are pretty sweet too.  The only thing that is missing from ours is the gas station, but that's coming soon.  I have heard that Costco is planning to offer Health Insurance sometime soon as well!  What a great company, so convenient and they treat their employees really well too.  Novato would not be the same without that store.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 11:11:36 pm »
I just have to add that I LOVE costco. We get everything there. Hubby calls it the 1,2,3 HUNDRED dollar store!!! We haven't fed our dogs the kirkland food, but we do feed our cat it, and she loves it. I'll be looking forward to what others have to say about it.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 11:18:24 pm »
NO KIDDING!  You cannot get out of that store under $100!  It's just not possible....

Offline Big Daddy Dawg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 12:11:31 am »
We were buying IAMS for Tank for about 9 months, and then about 3 months ago we switched to the Kirkland Lamb Formula. He realy likes it and he doesn't seem to have any runnies. And it saves us about $12.00 per bag, the only down side it that it is only a 40 lb. bag not a 48/50 lb. bag. We also buy his pork rawhide chews there $7.95 for a bag of 40 - then he tries to go outside and buary them in the strawberry plants!

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 03:25:18 am »
...  I thought Walmart was part of Costco? ...
Carolyn
You just made Sam Walton spin in his grave!! ;D
and she just made EVERY Costco membership spin in their seats!!! :)

Newf Lover: whatever you said.. +1 here.
cept i've found a Costco here, that gives food samples during the WEEKDAYS. that's right BABEEE! when i was unemployed, i hit up costco everyday for lunch ;) i believe i've had a 'date' @ Costco as well. My costco membership card dates: 07/1991 becaues my parents been members since the place was called "Price Club". That said, Costco has spectacular meat prices, I'm using their auto insurance (AMEX) along with digital printing and you gotta love their 500 ct of generic vitamins. where else can you buy 2 bottles of Nutella for $7??? Paris maybe...

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 06:26:48 am »
tonyc, family day, I mean taste test day here is every Saturday!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 06:53:21 am »

Newf Lover: whatever you said.. +1 here.
cept i've found a Costco here, that gives food samples during the WEEKDAYS. that's right BABEEE!  where else can you buy 2 bottles of Nutella for $7??? Paris maybe...

There's samples on weekdays at ours too but there's not as many.  Saturday is the day to chow down and everyone knows it.  Some people are a bit piggy and grab 4 things at a time.  Nothing ever lasts long, especially soup.  And your Nutella comment made me all nostalgic.  One of my friends growing up was Danish and his Mom would make us Nutella and toast all the time. MM-MMMMmmm!

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 06:59:05 am »
...  I thought Walmart was part of Costco? ...
Carolyn

I believe it is SAM'S Wholesale Warehouse that is part of Sam Walton's WalMart franchise.  That is what we have here, very similar to a Costco.
Karen

Offline graymeiste

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 03:16:58 pm »
So, what is the general feeling regarding the Kirkland food?  Especially for puppies?  I know that too much protein = too fast growth = joint issues and such.  We don't want that, of course.

Have folks generally had good luck with this food and/or Diamond?

Thanks!

Chris

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2005, 04:04:41 pm »
My fellas are on it, we just finished the switch over. They love it, and I like the smell of it way better.

Too soon to tell about the dry skin, but no signs of upset tummy or diaherra here. I have noticed that Apollo is slightly gassy, but I don't know if that's the food, or just him. (He's a huge counter surfer, and Hubby's not always careful about keeping the veggies back from the edge. He loves broccoli, but JEEZ!)
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2005, 06:52:54 pm »
we're on our 4th bag? switched to lamb formula for both dogs. they both enjoyed it more than the chicken formula.

Nikki is 10 months old now, still a puppy to me. there's not TOO much protein in this food (maybe a weebit higher than some others by 2-3%); definitely not like EVO (not knocking EVO, which i know many breeders are using as puppy food).

ambivalent about Diamond itself as they do make some really lousy dog foods, but this one is a-ok by me... so far.. tho Nikki's been doing the cowpie thing for weeks now, dunno why...

do you guys feed COOKD sweet potatoes? or raw sweet potatoes?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2005, 06:58:25 pm »
definitely not like EVO (not knocking EVO, which i know many breeders are using as puppy food).

I hope they aren't giat breed puppies.  Feeding Evo to a Giant pup can cripple them
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Nicole

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2005, 07:18:53 pm »
You can do it either way. But if you do raw, use a grater and shred them.