Author Topic: BLOAT Prevention  (Read 8034 times)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: BLOAT Prevention
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 03:01:27 am »
I would consider stress to be anything outside of a dog's normal behavior.

My guys eat and then play, sometimes they lay down, sometimes the drink water, I let them do whatever they want.  If I were to try to restrict what they are doing by verbally directing behavior or crating, I would consider that stress.

Also stressful would be visitors, travelling or major changes in routine.

But you know what, I don't really even think about it much.  I am aware of the symptoms and have a kit ready with a tube if someone were to bloat.  I just personally don't think that micromanaging a dog's behavior is going to help at all.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 07:10:14 am »
ok, I went to see the vet and she gave me a price of $550 including the spay.  I think that is very reasonable.  I'm going to get it done.  I don't censor my dogs lives so I would like to know that I can continue along as usual and have a decreased risk.  Thanks again for everyone's input.  I'm scheduling the surgery for January.  I'll let everyone know how it goes. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 07:13:45 am »
Let us know when the appt. is so we can think good thoughts!
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 07:24:59 am »
I will. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 08:54:15 am »
Great choice :) Make sure to let us know when the time rolls around, and we will all cross our paws for her  :)
RIP former BPO

Offline babs2Sully

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 06:35:20 pm »
I have a question regarding bloat/torque... Sullivan is a snacker..He does eat a major portion at meal time...and he eats some and walks away...comes back eats some more..it takes him about an hour to eat...honestly!! and we feed him twice a day... Is that helpful in bloat prevention?