Author Topic: Anal Gland health  (Read 4480 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Anal Gland health
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:59:07 pm »
Daisy's anal glands had to be expressed last week.   
The vet did the deed while I held her.   The stink was......ugh!!!!
New experience for me.   Not one I'm anxious to repeat.

I'm looking for tips on how to keep those glands healthy through diet.
Jack and Jill have never had an issue so this is all new to me.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Gland health
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:24:49 am »
I was a Vet Tech for 15 years. In my experience most of the big dogs did not have a problem with them. There are some Vets who empty the glands as a matter of routine. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. It seems as though the more they are manually emptied, the more they need to be emptied.  If they are leaking or infected they need emptying. A good diet resulting in firm stools and exercise is the best preventative.
There is a surgery that can be done to remove them, but it is risky as there are many nerves that can be compromised. Then the dog will have no control of the sphincter muscle.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline babs2Sully

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:40:11 pm »
I was a Vet Tech for 15 years. In my experience most of the big dogs did not have a problem with them. There are some Vets who empty the glands as a matter of routine. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. It seems as though the more they are manually emptied, the more they need to be emptied.  If they are leaking or infected they need emptying. A good diet resulting in firm stools and exercise is the best preventative.
There is a surgery that can be done to remove them, but it is risky as there are many nerves that can be compromised. Then the dog will have no control of the sphincter muscle.

K9ldy00
Would you then suggest that when I take Sullivan (or our other dogs for that matter) to the groomer....tha t we ask her not to express the gland?  She does it each time, if there's something there...If expressing it causes more need to be expressed??  I mean, I had never heard of having to have it done til about 10 years ago.. a friend had a Brittany who "always" needed it done.....and I've owned dogs for 30 plus years..

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:58:27 pm »
Were is Merit when shes needed. LOL Isnt there one of her old post floating around?? Maybe it would be worth checking if you need the anal gland seminar. Merit really knows her stuff.Im sure you would find what you need to know about anal glands from our QUEEN of the anal glands.
 ;) ;D ;)
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 06:50:52 am »
I wouldn't have them expressed unless you were having a problem with them.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 07:10:02 am »
I hadn't ever heard of this either, until my sister's 9 year old collie nearly died from his glands being blocked!  He ended up having to have major surgery, and all kinds of complications arose.  Poor Zak was never quite the same.

Her vet suggested when they got the new puppy that they should always have it CHECKED whenever they take the dogs to be groomed, and that if the groomer suggests it should be done, her vet would like her to bring the dogs in first, because of exactly the issue you describe--having it done too often can occasionally lead to other problems. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:44:04 am »
Daisy was partially blocked and leaking.   A tiny drop of this stuff can stink up a very large space.  It took some work to figure out where the smell was coming from and then figure out which of the three was leaving it.

I would like to prevent this need from arising again through diet and excercise. 

If you ever DO have to have this done to your pupper......we ar old shoes if you have to hold the pup while the vet goes in....he needs both hands.   bluck
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 02:42:35 pm »
My older Dane, who was pts in april of this year needed her gland cleaned out as she got older. Sometimes when you see them scoot their butts for no reason they are trying to empty it themselfs. I had the vet show me how to do it at home, yes it was gross but it saved alot of money and time. plus she would get so uncomfortable when they were full, I felt bad for her. But it was not a once a week kind of thing. Just sometimes they would fill up and not do it again for a long time.
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Offline GracieGirl

• Gnawer
  • Partners in Crime
    • View Profile
    • My Dobies album
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 11:10:07 pm »
Anal glands are emptied when the dog poops. When a dog poops, there is usually the last "squeeze", which is a fluid that comes out of their colon. Anal glands were once used for marking their territory.  It's common for smaller breeds, and the elderly to have anal gland problems, due to muscles not being strong enough.

Diet does have effect on the anal glands. A high fiber diet is a good place to start. The firmness of the stool makes the dog push harder, which releases the fluid from these glands. Anal glands are two small sacs located at the left and right side of the colon.

Groomers express them from the outside, while the vet does them internally. If your dog scoots along your floor, licks under their tail, or has a smelly rear, their anal glands possibly need to be expressed.
Forget Caller I.D., I want Caller I.Q.?