Author Topic: IBD? Help!  (Read 10983 times)

Offline BluHoov

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
IBD? Help!
« on: April 28, 2005, 12:20:44 pm »
My Weim is currently being tested for Irritable Bowel Disorder.  He has had severe diarrhea for weeks and is currently on medication to alleviate his discomfort and help him return to a normal schedule.  
I have done some research on IBD, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me and my pooch.  Or if anyone is ever been misdiagnosed?  Also, pet insurance stated that they will not allow him on a policy with IBD!  Help!

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: IBD? Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 02:51:43 pm »
I've no experience with dogs & IBD but my Miane Coone mix (cat) was diagnosed with it a few years back...They gave her a shot of steroid which they said would only help for awhile...I switched her food & have never had a problem with her since...She was on Science Diet & even the formula for sensative stomachs was too rich for her...Maybe try something as simple as switching his food if the tests don't show something obvious.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:29:44 pm »
I agree with previous poster, going to another food may help a lot. The food issue seems to be coming up at a lot of places on here, but I truly believe that no matter what breed the food we give them is of utmost importance, and the big guys we have, even more so. Do some reserach and maybe give him another food. Other than that I have been blessed, and have no personal experience with IBD.

I feel for you though, it is always horrible when our babies are not feeling well, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you and your baby. Please keep us posted with what happens.

Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline BluHoov

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 08:32:10 am »
I have tried other foods and now he is on "Eukanuba Low Residue", a prescription diet.  I noticed some good results for a couple of weeks, but now we're back to the diarrhea and vomiting issue.  I am more than happy to try a different brand if you have any recommendation s. 

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 02:59:20 pm »
My old girl Chazzy GSD has always had a problem with loose stool, went to Pro-plan sensitive stomach, she's been pretty good except for once in a while.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 03:58:59 pm »
You may just have to try trial & error to see what agrees with him...Like I said, even the Science Diet for sensative stomachs was too much for my cat with IBD...I finally found the Pro-Pac Hairball formula (not Pro Plan by Purinea..I am not sure if you can find Pro-Pac everywhere) agreed with not only my cat with tummy problems but with all of my cats...Good luck...I really hope you find out what works for your baby!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 01:45:49 am »
This will be a very very long post, I found something I read some time ago, this diet is recommended by a lady called Linda Arnt, she is a canine nutritional consultant. She is great with large to giant breeds. It sounds like a lot of info. but I really would try it in your situation. Hold on here goes:

Feed a super premium kibble she recomends Eagle Pack, I use that on my mastiffs and am super pleased, you can see where your nearest rep. is on their website www.eaglepack. com

Then she says you want to give dietary enzymes, which she says is missing in all kibbles, Nzymes that produce antioxidants to flush the toxins and byproducts from the dying yeast/fungus out of the body (those things are one of the reason the dogs get sick) the Nzymes can be ordered online www.nzymes.com

Then she says to add a digestive enzyme - probiotics. It is a friendly bacteria like in yogurt, but yogurt is not enough for a situation like this. She suggests BakPakPlus - fortified, I believe you can order that on www.nzymes.com too.

Vitamin C - 1000 mg of vitamin C for puppies 12 weeks and up to adult dogs (if you use EsterC 500 mg = 1000 mg regular)

She also says to add a joint support supplement

Also add Oxidrops, to alter the PH of the gut so yeast does not like to grow, can also be ordered from www.nzymes.com

Tincture of Blackleaf, to kill the yeast, I am not totally sure, but I think the same website goes for this too.

Then she wants to add canned meats or raw/cooked meats, she recommends the Eagle Holistic canned dog food 3 tbs - 1/3 can, she also says Nutro, Natures recipe is working well, do not use store brand. If you rather want to use raw meats she suggests Country pet dog food www.countrypet .com

Last fruits and veggies, says it has not to be a lot, a little is better than nothing, she lists some fruits and veggies you can use banana, apples (not the seeds), tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, oranges, sweet potatoe, squash, green beans, zuccini, garlic

Other things she adds to the "how to's" is that the kibbles is to be fed with water in it, not ever soaked as that destroys nutrients. But the water makes the dog not over consume water after the meal, and the kibble does not pull moisture from the dogs system in order to break down. Never real warm water though since that destroys the probiotics. Mix up and feed straight away, she uses 1,5 cups per adult serving

That is a lot of information I know, but this lady is one person I truly have trust in when it comes to feeding and how to deal with different issues due to feeding. It may be too much for you, but it is probably worth a try, she states that she has used this on IBD dogs with very good result.

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 01:49:31 am »
PS

If you dont want to use Eagle Pack, there are other brands she recommends, most of them small brands though, not sold in petstores, not too cheap but very good quality. If you want other brands she suggests tell me and Ill see if I can fiind which she recommends.

Marit

Offline BluHoov

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 12:18:21 pm »
Thank you all so much for your posts!  I found your advice extremely helpful and it was wonderful to find support during a time of frustration and need.