Author Topic: Rescue Remedy  (Read 7582 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Rescue Remedy
« on: October 18, 2005, 02:09:47 am »
Any thoughts, info, experiences ???
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Remedy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 02:14:40 am »
I like it.
I attended the level one and two training courses for Bach Flower Essences several years ago, and it was neat. I have the full set of 38 remedies! I use them all the time on the dogs. The one I am using a lot lately is Holly, it helps with jealousy. It really helps! I put a few drops in the water bowl every time I fill it up.
Rescue Remedy I have used when I think the dogs are stressed out or you can use it when someone isn't feeling well. It is mild but I think it helps calm them down. I use it for myself too!
 :)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 02:20:25 am »
I like it.
I attended the level one and two training courses for Bach Flower Essences several years ago, and it was neat. I have the full set of 38 remedies! I use them all the time on the dogs. The one I am using a lot lately is Holly, it helps with jealousy. It really helps! I put a few drops in the water bowl every time I fill it up.
Rescue Remedy I have used when I think the dogs are stressed out or you can use it when someone isn't feeling well. It is mild but I think it helps calm them down. I use it for myself too!

Do you know where I can get it at a good price?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 02:22:42 am »
 What is it?  ???
What can be accomplished with it?
Does it work as well as Vodka? ;D
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 02:46:29 am »
I don't think it would work as well as vodka....lol

My dad uses it on his mojo yorkie. He get anxious about cars rides. He had great success with it. I think he just bought it a health food store. I tried it on myself--it does have a calming effect ;D  Perfer vodka though
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 02:54:03 am by Icerotti »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 02:52:34 am »
Ha ha! Vodka is the rescue remedy I use on myself!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 02:58:51 am »
Don't worry folks! Rescue Remedy has alcohol in it! It tastes a lot like vodka! LOL

Haha anyways, I buy it at the local health food store too, Wild Oats, and I have seen it at Earthfare and Whole Foods too. It's usually 10 to 15 dollars a bottle but it's worth it- the dosage is so small that a full bottle lasts for quite a while.

Tulsa'a dad- it is a "flower remedy" which is a lot like a homeopathic or some people consider it to be herbal. Different flowers have different healing qualities, and Rescue Remedy is a blend of the ones which help in emergency-like situations or when you (or your dog) is scared. It is totally safe and has no side effects. These types of remedies are called "subtle energy medicine".

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 03:19:17 am »
I used Bach's Mimulus on Keiko last year to help her get over her "depression" after she was attacked by another dog at the dog park.  She was really in a funk, and this was 3-4 months after it happened.  I went to a doggie function where they had pet psychics and she suggested I try this.  I'm like, yeah right, but thought what the heck it certainly won't hurt her.

And it actually worked.  It took about 3-4 weeks to notice any difference for me, and I kept using it until the bottle was gone.  I believe the mimulus is for anxiety and to get over a trauma.  She went back to her usual happy-go-lucky self, and I was very pleased with the results.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 04:46:42 am »
The only time I get scared is when Tulsa is scared, and that's not often!
OK, I was scared when she was attacked by two Pitts at the dog park, they were irregulars, I had to punt one in the throat and it slashed me, 7 stitches, and I couldn't ride my mountain bike for a week.
Tulsa dispatched the other with minimal damage to herself, she had some superficial wounds to her throat, but she has extra skin there, so there was no major damage.
She was lying at my feet when the owner of the Pitts approached me with his issues, why did I kick his dog! Tulsa saw him coming and hunkered down into her 'protect' mode. He was hollering at me and saying some 'not too nice things' about my actions toward his dog. As he approached, Tulsa bristled, stood up and started growling, still by my side. I told him it was not a wise thing to come any closer to me, since I really didn't have that much control over my dog.(Not True, but he didn't know that!) Meanwhile, blood from his dogs bite has started to soak my sock.
He was one of those kind of people who take pride in thier dogs aggressiveness, and I am sure that he wanted to take a swing at me. The closer he got to me, the more agitated Tulsa became. Tulsa started forward in her low croach, teeth showing,  hair bristling, and still the low growl.
A voice rang out behind me. "Hey Mister, why don't you haul your dumb @ss, and your sissy dogs out of here!" and, "Yay Tulsa!"
I looked behind me, and ALL of the 'regulars' were there! About 10 of them. They 'invited' him to leave. He's never been back.
My dog loves to play and I don't have a clue what this has to do with this thread, but I thought that I would share.
I love my dog and her large heart.
There are times when we have to allow our dogs to do what they have been bred for, and revel in the things that they can teach us.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 04:49:57 am »
Alright! Go Tulsa!!!

You can buy Rescue Remedy online. Just google it. There are several online stores that sell it.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 05:31:54 am »
We bought a bottle at the local Whole Foods.

We have only tried it three times so far with mixed results (we only use it when we are going to cut nails).

The first time, it deffinately mellowed her out. The second and third times, not so much.
RIP former BPO

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 11:21:31 am »
I'll have to get some to mellow me out, Tulsa's cool!
J

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 12:08:25 pm »
I didn't know Balu was going deaf! Give him more things to smell, that's how dogs see anyway.
Hang in there dog, start collecting laundry, when their lips move, they're just saying they love you, just smile and nod and keep chewing, there's no such thing as too much love. And from their reaction you can tell how much they LOVE you.
Go Balu!
Tulsa

Offline suzanne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • raised dog feeder
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 01:19:40 pm »
I am a big Bach Rescue Remedy fan.  The dog I have used it most on is my 5-year-old Pyr, Sophia.  She had her first seizure 16 months ago...8 hours after a rabies shot (not a big fan of innoculations, prefer titers when possible!!!).  Fortunately, her meds have her pretty much under control now, but I have noticed that Rescue Remedy always seems to help bring her out of a seizure faster.  And if she goes through the "pacing" that is sometimes associated post-seizure, it seems to help reduce her anxiety.  http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/rescue_remedy.htm    is a link on a canine epilepsy group I belong to.  It has some good info.  A couple of other "general info" links are:  http://www.bachflower.com/rescue_remedy.htm
and   http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1360.

I prefer to use the liquid form that you administer with a dropper, as opposed to the cream.  You can add a few drops to the dog's water, or a holistic vet I sometimes go to for accupuncture and chiropractic treatments (for the dogs :-), not for me), puts a few drops in a small spray bottle of water and sprays it on the bedding...or directly into the cage..of animals who have had surgical procedures or are distressed for any reason.

You can administer a few drops directly into the dog's mouth..inside the lip, for example, or, ...the method I prefer...a few drops inside the ear flap on the fleshy, hairless part.

The important thing to remember is that ...it is not the quantity, but the repeated doses that proves most effective.  Sophia weighs approx. 120 lbs. so I drop 3 - 5 drops...or approx. 1/3 dropper full unto her inside ear flab, then fold the flab and smoush it around.  Then I repeat the dose after 15 minutes or so, and keep repeating the dose until she seems to be calming down.  This is far more effective than trying to give a large dose...regardl ess of the size of the animal. 

This is a really safe remedy, but...as has been suggested previously...d o a "search" on Rescue Remedy for dogs and learn more ways this can be used.  Anytime anxiety or trauma are involved....it's a helpful remedy to have on hand.   ...take some yourself when stressed.

Most health foods stores and some of the larger grocery stores carry it.  It can also be purchased online...but check different sites as there is quite a price variation.
Suzanne, Sophia (5 yr. old Pyr) and Riggs (10 month old Newf)

www.raiseddogf eeder.com

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 04:00:05 pm »
I wanted to bump up this thread again...

Has anyone used this for seperation anxiety?  We think Sophie might be developing some SA....   Do you have to keep repeating the dosage or would one dose in the morning last her until we get home from work?
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog