Author Topic: Bones  (Read 11535 times)

Offline Keynala

• Gnawer
  • Flopps
    • View Profile
Bones
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:57:18 pm »
I have a question regarding dog bones, not the treats the hard bones.  Well everytime Mariah eats one she gets really bad poop and for a couple of days.  I hate not being able to give them a special treat every now and then.  Can anyone recommend something that might not be so rough on her tummy.

Kel

Anakalia

Re: Bones
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:16:38 pm »
I have heard some dogs can't digest the bones very well.  I've never given one to my dogs, I'm always so afraid something bad might happen, I get so paranoid! lol  I've heard Bully Stix are great, but have heard they stink something horrible! Jenn, do they stink?  Maybe you can try the Bully Stix and see how they work for Mariah. 
 :)
Andi

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:29:13 pm »
They don't stink bad enough to make your house smell, but if you put them up to your nose they kinda smell like pee   :(

I honestly think pig ears smell worse though ... they smell so gross to me and they get so gummy.  On a skeeviness factor, bully stix are up there, but with all the cow treacheas and such I don't think they're the worst either!!!

No matter how gross I think they are, the dogs love them.  Kizmet flips out if he can't find his.  Its like his security blanket. LOL

So you're admitting you put the Bully up to your nose to sniff it? LMAO!!!  And of course they smell like pee!   ;D 

If your dogs love them as much as you say they do, I may have to go out and purchase some for Koby and Ramsey.  I'm always afraid of them choking on Rawhides or something, my have to give the ol' Bully Stix a try!

Andi

Dobe SDs

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:42:15 pm »
     Mariah may just have a sensitive tummy.  My red girl Tia is like that.  We gave our old Dobe one of those basted bones that look good... he ate on it for an entire day, just loved it!  That night we woke up to him having explosive diarrhea!  He ended up with Salmonella poisoning!  A trip to the vet and a gut resting diet and he was back to normal in about 3 days, but we've never had the courage to try any bones again.  
     When our "kids" get the need to chomp on something, we stick to the old standby - giant milkbones.  For everyday grinding and gum massage, the kongs are hard to beat.  
     Mariah  might also enjoy baby carrots.  Our guys love them, they're crunchy and taste good.  Plus they really soothe those back gums without upsetting the stomach.

Offline Keynala

• Gnawer
  • Flopps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 01:20:05 am »
Thanks guys for all of the great advice.  I am going to have to try the stix can't hurt right.  As for the carrots mariah loves carrots.  As a matter of fact both nala and her love everything.  They have been known to eat lettuce, carrotts, green beans, celery, onions, pickles, tomatos, and olives.  Just about any kind of food you put in front of them they will chomp on.  I'll try the stix and the carrots.  I hate knowing that she has an upset tummy.   I have noticed that Nala, the dobe, can eat anything and not have an bad results if you know what I mean.   Again thanks I will keep you posted how the stix work
Kel

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 07:54:52 am »
Like everyone else said, bully sticks make great chews, and I have never met a dog who doesn't love them. The only problem is the smell, though some brands smell worse than others (there have been a few that we bought that I seriously had to leave the room it smelled so bad, but others aren't too terrible).

I also like merrick's 'wishbones' and 'flossies'. They fall under the same category as bully sticks (beef tendons), and dogs love them too, but they don't smell bad at all.

Check them out here: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/dog_treats_tendons.php
RIP former BPO

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 10:03:43 am »
I am not sure if you are aware but salmonella can be found in dry dog food as well...I mean, I feed my dog all raw diet...raw meat bones and organ meat and salmonella is never an issue...nor is any other bacteria and my dogs are in optimal health

if a dog developed salmonella, it is something that stayed in his digestive tract for a long time...I wouldnt say that it was 100% from the bone though....

Just didnt know if you were aware of that :)
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 02:53:18 am »
I think each dog's tummy reacts differently to different things.  Lady loves her pigs ears...but more than one in a week gives her the runs...not Grace.  I think she has an iron tummy.  The hard bones (rawhides anyway) make both Lady and Grace gogogogogogo.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 03:14:22 pm »
We always gave our dogs big ol' bones like the basted bones, and they chewed on them for weeks..but not after we got Sasha; she eats them and pukes for 15 minutes.  So we don't give them big bones anymore.  Switched to 'greenies', which are great, but sure dont last them long, or that rawhide that's kind of already ground up and re-formed into sticks.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 10:29:14 pm »
There are quite a few dogs whose digestive system cannot tolerate raw/cooked bones, or rawhide treats etc. As some people have mentioned, some of the best chew treats, nutritious, and great for teeth, are the raw vegetables like carrots and broccoli stems. Stay away from onion though, as it can wreak havoc on the blood stream. Other things that dogs can tolerate well and are safe are greenies or a rubber Kong stuffed with kibble and peanut butter. :)
Jennifer W

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 10:57:10 pm »
Kate's favorite (and ours too in regards to her poop afterwards) are plain raw bones, uncooked.  We started her on them just after Christmas as a treat - she absolutely loves them.  Best of all - her poop has never changed (is solid, not runny at all). 

I know there are a lot of different types of bones out there (smoked, cooked, etc.) but if you haven't tried raw yet - I would go with that.  Another plus is that the raw bones don't splinter such as smoked or cooked bones do.  Kate's favorite are the Bison legs...

Hope that helps!  ;)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 11:08:29 pm »
Do you give her the bones raw or the kind you get already cooked form the pet shop? I find the cooked ones give my boy terrible diahorrea, but I can get huge raw beef marrow bones and they give him no such problems. The only thing is they STINK after a few days and need to be replaced weekly.

I personally don't like the greenies as despite the evidence of them giving some dogs intestinal blockages, they have always gone through my dogs at lightning speed - yuk!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:10:30 pm by Senghe »

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 02:22:18 am »
They have been known to eat lettuce, carrotts, green beans, celery, onions, pickles, tomatos, and olives.  Just about any kind of food you put in front of them they will chomp on. 

Don't let them eat onions - poisonous for dogs.  So are grapes and raisins.

Helen and Cayman forever in my heart
Helen and Cayman forever in my heart