Author Topic: What I didn't expect from owning a newfie .....  (Read 24746 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
What I didn't expect from owning a newfie .....
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:11:29 am »
When I got my newfie , Allie , who is 5 months on November 1st , I knew she would grow to be a big dog , I didn't expect for her to have problems sitting on our hard wood floors , since her butt always slides out from underneath her and she has to keep backing up with her front paws to keep up with it ! I knew that newfoundlands drool , but I only pictured the kind of "shoelace drool" (from Turner & Hooch) , I didn't expect to have her walk up to me after a drink , get in my lap and then let half a gallon of water pour from her floppy lips ! I knew they are big dogs , but I didn't expect a puppy to be able to chase my cat through the dining room and take out an end table with a vase and two of my chairs ! And I was fully aware of newfies love for water , but I didn't expect her to always have to have her front paws in her water dish while she drank , and when finished , dip her whole head in it too ! And one last thing I didn't expect happened on Friday ...... I didn't know I had to empty the bathtub RIGHT after my kids got out ..... 'cause after I got them dressed and sent them off to play , I noticed Allie wasn't around , I called her and she didn't come .... I started searching the house and she was plopped down in the tub, bubbles all around her .... And when I finally got her to come out , she had soaked up half the water and splashed it thru my house before finally going outside !!!  What a joy she is to have around , and already making lifetime memories !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: What I didn't expect from owning a newfie .....
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:31:41 am »
Hahahahaha! Oh my! Allie sounds like such a great little girl. Aren't the unexpected pleasures of Newfies a blast!?  ;D Who knew that if you left a dish in the kitchen for them to drink from, you would end up with a lake? Who knew that if there was puddle of any kind in the path of a Newf they would go out of their way to walk through it? Who knew that the best thing to do after dunking their entire head in the water bucket/bowl would be to walk right by your favorite wall/picture/clothing item and give a great big shake?

Ah Newfies......h ow can you have anything but love in your heart for them. They are the best!!!! I would rather have my kitchen become a lake and my walls get full of drool before I would live in a house without a Newf.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 08:52:52 am »
Allie sounds like a darling!  Oh the lessons you learn with a newfie!  Our Sasha has done many of the same things--so funny!  You are both right though...I'd never want to be without a newfie!  :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:11:57 am »
Hear Hear!!

I love the Newfie stories!  We are all absolutely mad to love them so much but they do make you roll on the floor laughing!  Why MUST they drink from the bottom of the bowl and then RUN to lay their head in your lap!  I ALWAYS look incontinent!!!!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:24:50 am »
Hehe!  So much water fits in their mouths...yikes!...I think they are sharing with us.  :D

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 09:33:27 am »
LOL!!! Cute stories!!!   :D

I want a newf...
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 09:47:34 am »
Hear Hear!!

I love the Newfie stories!  We are all absolutely mad to love them so much but they do make you roll on the floor laughing!  Why MUST they drink from the bottom of the bowl and then RUN to lay their head in your lap!  I ALWAYS look incontinent!!!!

They do look so innocent don't they! The big puppy dog eyes look at you like "Mom! I love you so much!"
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 12:39:25 pm »
Do your guys not only waste a lot of water, but drink a lot of water also?
I mean it is a constant thing to find the water bowl empty except for a bit of drool/slime on the bottom... The cats look so disgusted.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 01:28:30 pm »
Bear refuses to drink out of a bowl.   ::) He is so spoiled! He gets fresh out-of-the-faucet water.  :D He still gets us totally wet though!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 11:34:59 pm »
Yogi was so happy to move into a house with 4 flushable water bowls!!!
 ;D ;D

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 11:40:06 pm »
Do your guys not only waste a lot of water, but drink a lot of water also?
I mean it is a constant thing to find the water bowl empty except for a bit of drool/slime on the bottom... The cats look so disgusted.

Hehe...cats and newfies!  Our cat is so disgusted by Sasha--he just glares at her like "how could you be so gross?".  She loves him so much too.  She tries to give him kisses, but he gets slimed and runs off.  Poor Sasha (and poor kitty too).  :(

We have to keep the bathroom door closed.  One of Sasha's favorite activities is to take the water out of the toilet and put it on the floor.  I think she is protecting us from the "dangerous" standing water.  ;D Or maybe she wants a lake to swim in???  :)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 11:43:53 pm »
Allie sounds so cute.I cant turn on the water in the sink without Spotakiss jumping up for a drink.Allie might decide to sleep in the tub too.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 12:24:49 am »
Ah, the joys of Newfie ownership for the first time.  Once you have had one, you know what to expect.  How about, Who knew that a simple dogwalk down the street becoming a crowd gathering zoo exhibit?  Who knew that a dog could actually pin you to the floor?  Who knew that a dog could love water so much?  Who knew that 1 dog could get more attention than 20 other dogs all around it?  Newfs never cease to amaze me!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 03:42:17 am »
I just realized something, Newf Lover, your picture of drake out in the snow, his tongue is hanging out.... He can't be hot.  So I guess the tongue out is just a natural state for them, and here I was thinking that the tongue out thing was just reserved for when they were hot. 
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 08:11:16 am »
Bear has been known to get crazy in the snow. He gets hot there but is never, ever cold!
Hugs,
Jaime