Author Topic: Pro's and Con's of Weimaraners ?  (Read 26822 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Pro's and Con's of Weimaraners ?
« on: October 24, 2005, 06:08:57 am »
Hi there , I am owned by newfies , I've been around weim's when I once managed a kennel at a vet office but have never owned one . Would ya'll please tell me your experiences with them ? A friend is trying to find a new home for their's and I certainly don't want him to end up at the shelter or shot ....(which is what I'm afraid they'll do .....) So I'm just seeing if he'll fit in at my house ... I haven't yet met him cause I know I'll just get all emotional and want to take him home ...LOL Thanks in advance !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Icerotti

Re: Pro's and Con's of Weimaraners ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 06:42:30 am »
I do not own a weim but would love to. My best friend had one when we were younger. His name was Thunder. He was a very sweet and loving dog. He was a rescue and did come with some issues. He came from a not very nice home. They did training with him and it fixed all the issues he was having. He was very bright and energenic. He really liked kids. He liked to go running and really like to have his daily excercise. He lived to be around 14 years old. He was a great family dog. i can't think of any thing negative . Other than he use to counter surf once nd a while. I remember one time he ate bread dough and drank alot of water and his belly expanded to a rather large size. ::)

Farley was in obedience with a weim Zoe. She was very sweet. She was only 4- 5 months. She had lots of energy. They also have a older weim. The owners said that the two dogs played together and that seems to curb some of the energy they want to get rid of daily. We have a vizsla and I find the same with him and our rotti. They play alot and tire each other out.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide. :)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 06:57:16 am »
My brother has one Jenga...the dog is 9 yrs old and still goes like a puppy with boundless energy LOL...The big thing i noticed is they tend to get SA when their owners are not around...Jenga will pace and pace looking for her mother LOL  a very needy dog...the neediest one I have met so far...they are beautiful dogs and always on the go...she will also kill anything small
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 07:09:41 am »
The only think I know about weimeraner's is from that movie Best in Show. lol. ;D
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 07:27:33 am »
That is the cutest thing!! :)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 08:01:59 am »
OMG OMG OMG!!!!! IF those are the CUTEST PICS EVER...they should have their own line of everything with those pictures
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:26:51 am »
Those are the cutest pics EVER!!

I second and third the notion they are very very high energy.  We have had several that frequent the dog park here and there.  Overall, they are about what you would expect a weim to be.  I have met a couple with some dog aggression, although that really has to do with how they are raised.

I guess they would fall under the "keep them busy or they will be destructive" category.  All but one that I have met have been very ball obsessive.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 11:42:45 pm »
Weimaraners: the most hyper dogs I have ever met, and the most loyal and bonding dogs I have ever met.
My friend rescues weims all the time and they get attached to her in a matter of days and then they never want to be away from her. And yes they get separation anxiety. They need to be with their human as much as possible! But so loving, so devoted... and did I mention hyper... ;)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 11:59:26 pm »
My friends own a Weimraner, good dog but really hyper and cannot swim at all.  I had to dive in and save her once because she had jumped off a boat.  They are very beautiful dogs and have a very unique look.  No wonder William Wegman used them as subjects.  As many said above, if you get one of these dogs, get ready to occupy it!  :o  I love the second to last picture above, the puppy is snuggling and looks so happy with a big grin on it's face.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 12:04:45 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 12:50:44 am »
OMG I love those pictures they are soo cute. They would look great in a calander!

The only Weimaraner that I met was at a flyball competition, and he just loved playing that game.  So if you do decide on getting one, I would suggest on getting in involved in agility or flyball. It is a great sport for a hyper dog.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline weimlover23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Custom Dog Feeders
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 12:11:19 am »
I know a thing or two about weims -- since I am owned by one!  It takes a certain type of person to own a weim. 

Yes, weims are very energetic!  If not given proper exercise and stimulation, they can become destructive.  An exercised weim is a happy weim.  They do tend to get bored quickly though, so it is important to keep them mentally and physically stimulated in varying ways. 

Weims are extremely intelligent as well.  It seems my weim understands every word I say and can predict my every move!  I'm convinced that they are more human than canine.  The are also quick learners!  This can be both good and bad!  Weims tend to be very dominant and strong-willed too.  Because of this, proper obedience training is essential. 

Weims do tend to be velcro babies as well -- they always want to be with you.  They are extremely affectionate and loyal.  As a puppy, my weim seemed to suffer from separation anxiety.  He has gotten better with age.  I try to exercise him before leaving him alone.  I have found that when he is tired, the less trouble he gets into when I'm away!  Now that we added a vizsla puppy to our family, his anxiety has lessened even more.    My weim and vizsla are very similiar and keep each other entertained.

Having a weim is an experience.  I believe it is a wonderful one.  Now that I have a weim I could never imagine my life without one!  Let me know if you have any other questions.  I would be glad to share my experience/expertise! 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 12:27:36 am »
All I know is that they have a beautiful coat color.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline smiwolfie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 01:22:44 pm »
I just joined  and am very excited!  I grew up with Weimeraners and most of them were very high energy although others were just big lap dogs!  I was rescued 3 months ago by a 2 year old Weim who is somewhere in between.  Mack walks us 2 times a day and then he is content to watch Sesame Street and Animal Planet with his 4 year old brother and 6 year old sister ( my kids ).  He is not a ball chaser, not much of a chewer except for an occasional clean sock, but for a Weim I would consider him more on the mellow side.  Best not to generalize too much and try to spend time with your potential Weim first.  That said, we cannot imagine NOT having Mackie and feel very lucky that he chose us to come home with!!!  Good Luck!!!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 02:03:12 pm »
My wiem is a great baby.  Yes i would say that a wiem should be in a family that is going to be very active in a dogs life.  Some dogs could care less if you are around a wiem is definatly not like that it needs its "people".  I love my girl and would not trade her for the world and yes i  am a dog trainer so i do get to catch some of those bad behaviors before they start.  Thank God.  But i do run bell 3 miles a day and she still has energy left over so yes they are energetic. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Jacks Mommy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:16:26 pm »
I own a Weim.

Weims are:

Very loving, affectionate, and needy.  They do suffer from severe (and I do mean SEVERE) separation anxiety.

They have an amazing amount of energy and if not properly exercised they will destroy your home.

Weims can be stubborn and hard headed at times, however its all part of their personality.  They are HIGHLY intelligent animals and therefore can either be the WORST dog you have ever owned, or the best.

If you train them and work with them ~ By far the best animal you will ever own.  If you neglect to train, LOL They will own you and your home and will be the worst animal ever as they can become destructive.

This is a dog that needs LOTS of attention and wants to be part of the family, not the family pet.

Jack sleeps in our bed at night, is protective over my children, and essentially acts (and is considered to be) another child.