Author Topic: After 4 days on another food......  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
After 4 days on another food......
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:43:14 am »
Sanity has been doing awesome on Evo.  But this weekend he had to have Nutro.  After 4 days on Nutro this is what he looked like

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: After 4 days on another food......
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:33:00 pm »
that is DOWNRIGHT scary.... why did he HAVE to hv nutro :barf:

i've switched both the dogs out to Cosco Kirkland Lamb. they like the lamb a LOT more than the chicken so i think i've hit the magic food/$ ratio...

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 10:43:40 pm »
He HAD to have Nutro because I was at my BF's house for the long weekend (Fri to Monday) and that's what he feeds.  I'm on a limited budget right now as I've been out of work because of the accident and can't afford to drop the money on an extra bag especially when I had just purchased one.  It's my fault for not bringing the food with me, but I didn't think I'd be staying that long. 

When I say I've tried everything for Sanity I have.  I've even tried mixing Evo with Canidae to help cut down the cost but it doesn't work.  I seriously am considering writing them (Natura Pet, the owners of Evo) maybe they'll give me a coupon.  As fot Costco Kirkland Lamb, Sanity's stomach doesn't do Lamb, I learned that when I wasted all the money on those sensitive stomach foods, besides it has too many grains for my liking.  That's just me though.

Ang

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 10:48:03 pm »
I have been thinking about changing over to the EVO but wanted to wait until Tyra was older.  She is also VERY thin but until she is older I want to be careful with the protein.

I know you said Nee was doing great on the EVO did you have problems finding it?  Also, I wanted to ask how much he weighs and how much he eats of both foods.  Currently I have my pack on EP Holistic and Tyra will eat 6 – 9 cups per day.  She has not gained an ounce in over a month.  She is still sitting at 101 lbs. but continues to grow taller ever so slowly, currently at about 34”. 

Here is a picture of my little runway model.

Cindy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 10:51:56 pm »
Poor Sanity!  :o He looks terrible Ang! Give that by some cookies with his next meal will ya? ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 10:58:47 pm »
I have been thinking about changing over to the EVO but wanted to wait until Tyra was older.  She is also VERY thin but until she is older I want to be careful with the protein.

I know you said Nee was doing great on the EVO did you have problems finding it?  Also, I wanted to ask how much he weighs and how much he eats of both foods.  Currently I have my pack on EP Holistic and Tyra will eat 6 – 9 cups per day.  She has not gained an ounce in over a month.  She is still sitting at 101 lbs. but continues to grow taller ever so slowly, currently at about 34”. 

Here is a picture of my little runway model.

Cindy

How old is Tyra?  I started Sanity on it ummmm I think he was about a year.  I about crapped my pants when I saw the protien but I figured his overnight growth was pretty much over and nothing else was working.  I didn't have any problems finding it but that's because in my search of a dog food that would work, I had been to every feed and pet store in southern New Hampshire, so I knew who had it ;)  I did call them all for prices though.  HUGE difference, from $53 to $42, and if I buy in bulk I get 10% off at the $42 place.  I know that Fred from GDR gets it for 30-something

Last time he was weighed he was 160, and he's 33" last I looked like a month ago, but everyone says he's grown so I have to measure him again.  I'm sure he's lost alot since he was weighed though.  :(  He looks like poop.  I feed him as much as he wants for the most part, but it averages between 6-8 cups a day.  I  know others feed much less, but he was eating at LEAST 12 cups a day on anything else, a few times he was up to 20.  He's been on the Eagle Holistic, Canidae, Wolf King, Fromm Four Star, (ALL the flavors), Merrick, Wellness, and the Evo is the only thing that he has gained weight on.  I'm not trying to bring over followers or anything, I'm not on cmmision ;)  but it's the only thing that worked for me and I want to help others if I can.

Ang

Edited to Clarify that I feed him as much as he wants means that he gets 4 cups in the morning, then two in the afternoon, if he still acts starved he gets more, and then two at night, and if he acts starved he gets more.  No free feeding :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 11:01:31 pm by Anky »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 11:02:14 pm »
Ang for sure write the company and rave about the food, usually they'll send coupons or free samples to you.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 11:09:24 pm »
Holy chit, 160 and 33", I don't think Tyra will ever get up to 160.

Tyra will be one on November 18.  At this point I'm not too worried about the weight.  One of the major reasons I want to change to the EVO is for Tucker, my problem pup.  I thought with all his health issues if I wasn't willing to go RAW that EVO would be the next best thing.  Until I can change all of them over I really want to hold off.  Then again at the price they charge here in CA ($44 for 28lbs) maybe I'll just put Tucker on it.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 11:31:07 pm »
sorry to hear that... i don't think it'd be too much to ask the bf to buy a small bag of EVO... i actually bought the chica canidae for her dog cuz she was short funded...

the only grains in kirkland's food is brown/white rice and cracked pearl barley and some millet down in the 14th ingredient. all of which are accepted forms of doggy-nutritious 'grain'. if you REALLY want to be technical about it:

"In agriculture, a grain is the seed of a grass, a simple dry fruit technically called a caryopsis. Such crops are often called cereals. Grain can also refer to other types of small seeds"

even the most ultra premium foods will have some form of rice / barley / millet / flaxseed. and that's STILL unacceptable, one must feed EVO, or, dare i say, go BARF. unfortunately, w/o a job, it's hard to afford them $40 small bags of EVO.

FWIW, canidae has new chicken & rice formula coming out soon:
http://canidae.com/dogs/chicken_and_rice/dry.html
but again, if rice and barley is still unacceptable, you're pretty much fubar.

Unfortunately, by the time we found out I'd be staying for the extra days, the feed stores had closed for Saturday, and they arent open on Sunday.  The only places I could have gone for food were Petsmart or a grocery store, in which case I would be in the same boat I was. 

I am getting disablity checks so I'm not dying financially but there is a difference between spending $40 on dog food in one week and $80.  I'm not going to argue the point as to argue dog food with people is pointless and violent. :)