Author Topic: Homework Help!  (Read 2976 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Homework Help!
« on: October 30, 2005, 04:59:11 am »
Ok, I'm on the comp. to do my homework.. ya keep telling myself that :P
Anyways I really need help with my Imformative Speech. I have no clue how to do it, nor does anyone in my class know what their doing either. Already asked them!
So i'm doing my I.S. on The Grimm Brothers.
For the speech, I have to:
1. Choose a topic
2. Create a purpose statement
3. Divide the body of your speech into three main areas(for example: chronologicall y, topically, or spacially)
4. Include facts and sources

Secondly, creat a strong introduction using the outline format below:
1. Introduction
   A. Hook(quote, fact, statistic, ect..)- explain
   B. Background information about your topic (brief)
   C. Reveal supports
   D. Thesis statement
(C and D may be combined into one)

Be sure to include transitions from idea to idea and to explain your thoughts.

Thirdly, find information to support your topic. Be thorough and specific, using plenty of facts and examples.

II. Body
A. Area 1 (ie. history, beginnings of, info about the area, ect..)
 1. Facts
 2. Facts
B. Area 2 (ie. Traditions, activities, ect..)
 1. Facts
 2. Facts
C. Area 3 (ie. Attractions, folk tales associated with, ect..)
 1. Facts

Lastly, create a conclusion that is memorable and that summarizes our points.
III Conclusion
A. Signal your conclusion (In conclusion,) and summarize main pints
B. Reference to introduction(bring it all together)
C. Psychologicall y close the speech (ie. Closing statement)

here are some links to The Grimm Brothers:

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm.html

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/grimm/

http://www.who2.com/thebrothersgrimm.html

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~ajc5656/biography.html

please help me, this is Due Tuesday!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Homework Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 05:27:41 am »
They give you an outline, and you have picked a subject.  What is the problem?  Do you not understand?  I think I have a fair idea of what you are supposed to do.  I just finished the work for English 10 on Friday, so maybe I can help you a little.  I won't do the work for you, but if you don't understand, I'll try to explain.

Do you have to give a speech?  I'm assuming you do, from the name of the assignment.  (I've no experience with that; I'm homeschooled.)  But do you have to turn in a written copy of the speech also?

Sofia

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 05:30:46 am »
I don't expect anyone to do it for me. I just need this more specifically explained to me. I don't have to write the speech just give an outline(summary) of the speech.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 05:55:17 am »
It's been a few years since I've had to actually write out my speeches like that, but if you still need help, I can try.

What exactly are you not understanding?  The outline should be pretty easy to write out, once you know where you want to go with it.

A purpose statement should be just what you want to get across in your speech.  The point of the speech.

The body of the outline is the easy part.  The conclusion usually works itself out as well.  The hardest part is coming up with a good introduction, which should grab your audience.

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 08:32:35 am »
Now I want to go into the narrative style, can anyone help me with that?

fterwards as they came back, the elder was at the left, and the younger at the right, and then the pigeons pecked out the other eye from each."

"'Cut the toe off; when thou art Queen thou wilt have no more need to go on foot.'"

"'Kill her, and bring me back her heart as a token.'"

The Grimm's fairytales were, and have remained, some of the most violent and gruesome tales told. Although the tales were originated with the purpose of adult entertainment, they have been reiterated to children for centuries. This horrific style is one that has been questioned, regarding its audience, for as long as the Grimm's stories have been around.

There have been many critics of the Grimms' work over the years. Maria Tatar, author of The Hard Facts of the Grimm’s Fairy Tales, holds an extremely critical view of the tales told, and the content in them. She states, "Even those who know that Snow White's stepmother arranges the murder of her stepdaughter, that doves peck out the eyes of Cinderella's stepsisters, that Briar Rose's suitors bleed to death on the hedge surrounding her castle, or that a mad rage drives Rumpelstiltski n to tear himself in two, will find themselves hardly prepared for the graphic descriptions of murder, mutilation, cannibalism, and infanticide that fill the pages of these bedtime stories for children."

In transition from the first edition of Children's and Household Tales to the second, the volume and depth of the Grimm's violent style intensified. In the second edition, holes left open in the first edition, were filled with grotesque details, altering the reader's visions into much more vivid, and misshapen imagery. An example of this is the adjustment of the story of Aschenputtel. In the first version, the stepsisters were merely spared their vision. In the second edition of the tales however, Wilhelm Grimm found it necessary to enhance the image in the reader's mind. The line was altered to read, "So both sisters were punished with blindness to the end of their days for being so wicked and false." This embellishment of details was common for the Grimms. Another example of this is in the ending of Rumpelstiltski n's tale. In the original version, Rumpelstiltski n departed on a flying spoon at the end of the story. As the Grimms retell the account in the second edition of Children's and Household Tales, the character is so infuriated with the Queen's detection of his name that he tears himself in two.

The Grimms rarely toned down their tales, nor did they weaken the brutal punishments, pain, or suffering that is contained in their stories. If this opportunity was taken, it was generally by the encouragement of a friend or colleague, not an alteration the Grimms themselves could be held responsible for. Rather than diminishing the dreadful descriptions and text of their stories, the Grimms were better known for merely intensifying these violent details.

Although the Grimms were writers of violent, vivid imagery, they avoided the topics of pregnancy and incest. In the tales that were revised by the Grimms, plots involving these topics were modified into bloody, gory, attention-getting details, or perhaps, dismissed completely. The story of Hans Dumm, as originally told in the first edition of the tales, included Hans Dumm having the ability to impregnate women by merely wishing for them to be so. The Grimms, unable to handle these kinds of "certain conditions and relationships," as they so modestly referred to them, eliminated the story completely when putting together the second edition.

The Grimms were, and have remained to be, remembered for their children's stories. These stories being read to children to fall asleep at night, to console and comfort them, and to give them a sense of peace and well-being. Contradictory, however, these tales were merely violent and bloody depictions of once calm and relaxing tales that could be enjoyed by all.

Works Cited:

Tatar, Maria. The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1987.

-April Lindquist

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~ajc5656/narrative.html

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 10:40:54 am »
I think you have done a pretty good job so far :). and I got a B in my college speach class. It's better then some of those kids did. I think it's pretty good.
Jenn

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:43:15 am »
Your introduction sounds really good.

My only question is about the body.  Does your teacher want you to be writing out word for word what you would say in a speech since you won't be giving one?  Or does he just want you to write an outline?  Usually in a speech, an outline is basically a skeleton of facts and you "wing" your speech off of those facts.  But if you're not actually giving a speech, does he want you to be more thorough?

I guess I'm used to outlines looking something like this.  Say I am writing a paper on the great dane.

I. Appearance
 A.  Color
     a.  shades
     b.  genetics and health problems w/color
 B.  Size
     a.  Weight
     b.  Height
II  History
  A.  Job they were bred for
  B.  Breeds making up the great dane

etc. etc........... .....but it does sound like you know your topic.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 10:52:25 am »
YAY SPEECHES!  I LOVE SPEECHES!  Your intro has me a little off, I think the puter deleted the beginning of it.  I agree with what you said earlier, you need a hook.  I think most people think of Grimms fairy tales as happy stories.  (I know they didn't write the Little Mermaid but when I read the real story the first time I didn't know what to think.  The sad thing is Disney read these and made children's movies out of them!)  The hook would be something like, "Fairytales invoke thoughts of good over coming evil, royalty falling in love and living happily ever after.  However these fairy tales we were all lulled to night time bliss by are nothing more than watered down versions that would make Freddy Krueger afraid to nod off."

The quotes right at the beginning are kind of like 'Ummm where's this coming from?"  Especially with no explination follwing immediately after.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
Yes, I know what I'm talking about but I have know clue how to word it! Ang, your hook you said was great, it got me really interested!

Anyways here's my whole speech, I was really jumpy at it and I just didn't know what to put where.

Yes I'm a dork and I won the state speech contest.  I admit it!  I love public speaking.  Getting your thoughts into order is the hardest thing, you need it to flow and not be choppy.  You don't want people to have to stop to think about anything.  Their minds are supposed to belong to you for however long you have them.  A good orator can walk into a room full of people set in their ways and when they leave have them set in the complete opposite way.  All the greatest rulers/dictators were amazing orators. 

As for the speech, MAHvelous dahling ;)

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 01:42:22 pm »
It looks good and sounds very interesting.

The only thing I might suggest is to name your areas 1, 2 and 3 so they have a title as to what will follow each.