Author Topic: FIBER?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
FIBER?
« on: October 30, 2005, 07:37:01 am »
Daisy is having anal sac issues.  Luckily they are minimal at this point.
I've read that increasing fiber can help these glands empty on their own.
Does anyone add fiber to their dogs diet?  If so, what and how much??

Thanks!
Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: FIBER?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 10:28:25 am »
I don't, but someone else I know adds All Bran or Fiber One cereal to one of her dog's diet that has had anal gland problems.  It works for her, but I don't know how much she adds.  I don't think you would need to add all that much.  I suppose you could play around with the amount some, until you get to the amount that works for you.  That is, assuming it will work for you.  I don't know if this would work for all dogs' anal problems.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: FIBER?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 10:40:05 am »
I don't normally supplement with fiber because my kibble meets zoey's fiber needs, but... when zoey has diahrea, I give her pumpkin (which is high in fiber). I bought a big can of plain pureed pumpkin, and spooned it into ice cube holders. Now when zoey's tummy is upset, I will giver her one pumpkin ice cube with a meal.

If you want to add fiber, I would do it with naturally high in fiber foods instead of supplements. you don't want them to have too much fiber or they will be constipated... Some high fiber foods that are pretty dog friendly: Green peas, Sweet potato, brown rice, Corn, carrots, banana...
I personally would probably take a banana, slice it 8-10 peices, and freeze it, then i would give it as treats. I would also use sliced up carrots as treats...
RIP former BPO